Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 08:32 PM

Default Re: For Dissection....2008 Red Sox Roster........

[ QUOTE ]
I guess the Sox could wait for Manny’s contract to expire after 08, but is that the best move? And, they’re locked into Drew whether we like it or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are in good shape by the trade deadline or have a chance to make the post-season they would probably keep him. If it doesn't look like they are going to make the playoffs then they would probably try to move him. I am guessing that post-season revenues and two draft picks is better than no post-season and whatever they would get if they moved Manny (plus they would still probably have to pay). Plus, unless Manny is sucking real bad, I cannot imagine them moving him mid-season if they have a chance for the post-season. If he isn't moved this off season, then he will be there all year.

He definitely did not have a good year last year (for Manny), but his 2B (which are undervalued) was in line with his previous years (and about 100 less PA than usual), HR were down, OBP was down from his average, but not by enough to make it statistically meaningful, and there is the possibility that he was hurt before he was 'officially hurt.' PECOTA had him for 33 HR in 2007 and 31 HR in 2008 (2B, OBP, and BA were right in line with 2007 and the 2008 PECOTA is about the same for 2007).