Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2006, 05:33 AM

Default 2K6m. tricky TPTK OOP.

ok, didnt know much about my opp... he sat down an orbit ago, didnt catch anything he showed down, so really an unknown. TAGgy screenname tho.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

BB ($2460.74)
UTG ($6439.41)
MP ($4590.24)
Button ($1878.60)
Hero ($1980)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises to $50</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $155</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $323</font>, BB calls $158.

Flop: ($666) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $425</font>, BB calls $425.

Turn: ($1516) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

1220 left, in our stacks whats your play? how likely do u think AQ is good here?
so, push, c/fold, or c/call/rz?
Old 08-23-2006, 05:45 AM

Default Re: 2K6m. tricky TPTK OOP.

People posting $2k max hands in the medium stakes NL forum makes me feel like a wussy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2006, 05:58 AM

WTF gives with that bitchy little 4-bet?
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF gives with that bitchy little 4-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think I owuld 4bet to 500 total.

Asx played if you shove turn, I dont think villain folds midpocket pair with a diamond like ever. Same goes with 9x with a diamond. 9x no diamond might have to run their timer down a bit though.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:01 AM

Jesus.

I hate the weak reraise preflop. You really can't narrow villain's range to anything. He could've called that flop with like A9 or AdA, who the hell knows. Basically I dont think any worse hand is calling your push on the turn but I think a worse one may push if you check, not wanting to give up a free diamond on the river.

I check call. it's a mess though.

actually wtf am i talking about no one is drawing here given this action. there's no way you have the best hand just check fold
Old 08-23-2006, 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the weak reraise preflop. You really can't narrow villain's range to anything. He could've called that flop with like A9

[/ QUOTE ]
The small re-raise, while technically offering good direct odds, offers [censored] for implied odds. No hand really has odds to call to hit. I can't imagine personally taking a flop with A9 or some junk (I'd push or fold, almost always fold), but I have no diea how an unknown opponent would respond to a "small" 4-bet like this.

If you had 4-bet for slightly more, I would definitely say check/fold.... but here, I'm not sure, as I've never made a raise quite like that, myself.

OTOH: It's pretty nutty to try to float on a flop like this, and the hands that you beat aren't really gonna wanna put much more in, as I really don't think they think that they can ever blow you off a big pair, and they probably think that you'd push with the NFD.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate the weak reraise preflop. You really can't narrow villain's range to anything. He could've called that flop with like A9

[/ QUOTE ]
The small re-raise, while technically offering good direct odds, offers [censored] for implied odds. No hand really has odds to call to hit. I can't imagine personally taking a flop with A9 or some junk (I'd push or fold, almost always fold), but I have no diea how an unknown opponent would respond to a "small" 4-bet like this.

If you had 4-bet for slightly more, I would definitely say check/fold.... but here, I'm not sure, as I've never made a raise quite like that, myself.

OTOH: It's pretty nutty to try to float on a flop like this, and the hands that you beat aren't really gonna wanna put much more in, as I really don't think they think that they can ever blow you off a big pair, and they probably think that you'd push with the NFD.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim, they may not think they need much in the way of implied odds. Flawless' actions are pretty much indicative of his hand. I never see big pairs played like this preflop in blind battles. I see villain calling with quite a few hands here.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never see big pairs played like this preflop in blind battles.

[/ QUOTE ]
how do ppl play them?
Old 08-23-2006, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never see big pairs played like this preflop in blind battles.

[/ QUOTE ]
In a blind battle is one place where I almost always 4-bet AA/KK.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the point about the relatively small 4-bet is that it makes a big pot with a hand that hero will hardly ever be totally confident is best at any point in the hand. Against a villian that hero knows is overly tight, or entirely predictable, or just plain bad then it may be a good play. It may also be that hero has no issues about playing lots of big pots at these stakes and feels his post-flop play is good. This can make these bets very much good plays, but against an unknown and OOP it looks like the bet puts too much pressure on hero so instinctively looks a little bit iffy.