Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 05:22 PM

Default 2007-2008 College Hockey Thread

Okay, this turned out rather well last year, so I thought I'd start it again.

As a Michigan fan (who happens to live across the street from Yost, hockey tailgating will be going on this year), this should be a very interesting year. Not the best of teams, certainly, but very young AND, more importantly, a good chance that the defense may well be disciplined. I loved Jack and thought well of Hunwick, but both spent way too much time playing offense, very sloppy on D, as well as many of our other players. The early returns have suggested that our D is more likely to be solid this year. Nothing much to do about goaltending until the frosh (Hogan) recovers from mono, but hopefully Sauer can refrain from being horrible this year.

Very nice start for Michigan, splitting at the Icebreaker tourney. 4-3 win against BC, 4-3 loss against Minn. Much better than I expected. Hagelin looks like he'll be the next bigtime Michigan forward. I'm skeptical that Kevin Porter was much more than a creation of TJ Hensick's playmaking ability. Two road games at Northern this weekend, should be interesting.

Thoughts on your favorite teams?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: 2007-2008 College Hockey Thread

Favorite Team - Boston University Terriers

I have't read much preseason opinion, but I think this is a bit of a transitional year for BU. Johnny Curry is gone and the Jr class seems better than the seniors. This is the 1st year in a long time where I'm not confident of a shot at the frozen four.

My 2nd favorite team (temporarily at least)is Michigan State. hey, anybody who deals BC a soul-crushing defeat is OK in my book. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 PM

Gophers will win, so much depth (except on d)
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM

Bump for the weekend games (and to get more notice, this does better once people notice it)

Michigan with a nice start, sweeping Northern on the road. Not that NMU is much good this year (think they are a young team too), but the past two years have shown us to be very inconsistent and having a hard team sweeping, esp on the road. Didn't see either game but it sounds like we're playing more solid D. Looking forward to seeing the team for the first time this year next weekend against BU,
Old 10-21-2007, 04:33 PM

Its the Fighting Sioux´s time to win it this season, mark my words.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gophers will win, so much depth (except on d)

[/ QUOTE ]

Before this past weekend, I would've said the U won't even win the DQ cup.

They still might not, but I'm not as sure that SCSU will as I was a week ago.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:09 PM

Go Big Red!

2nd year into a rebuilding phase...hopefully it turns out a little better than last.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:56 AM

Bumped for...getting people to notice. I saw MicroBob started a new one, which also died. Might not have it sustained until after New Years, but I'm gonna try anyway.

CCHA looks decent early with three of the top 4 teams, but I really don't expect that to last. We (Michigan) look a lot better than I would have expected but the schedule has been softer than expected (Minn is 4-4, BU is awful). Still, very very young team and the same old bad goalie so I'm very happy. The team looks much more careful with the puck this year, and some of the frosh are stepping to replace Hensick/Cogliano/Johnson.

Would be nice if Michigan and Miami are 1/2 when they meet in...January? It's in Oxford but my hockey friends and I are considering a trip down there. I've never been to a road college hockey game yet, so I'm looking forward to it. What's it like down there?
Old 11-09-2007, 11:17 PM

I'm a Northern Michigan alum. Last year's top scorer past on his senior season for the AHL leaving a team full of Freshman and Sophomores.

First 8 games of the season, @Michigan Tech, @Minn-Duluth, scUM X2, @MSU X2, Miami X2, all top 15 teams. GG, wait till next year.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bumped for...getting people to notice. I saw MicroBob started a new one, which also died. Might not have it sustained until after New Years, but I'm gonna try anyway.

CCHA looks decent early with three of the top 4 teams, but I really don't expect that to last. We (Michigan) look a lot better than I would have expected but the schedule has been softer than expected (Minn is 4-4, BU is awful). Still, very very young team and the same old bad goalie so I'm very happy. The team looks much more careful with the puck this year, and some of the frosh are stepping to replace Hensick/Cogliano/Johnson.

Would be nice if Michigan and Miami are 1/2 when they meet in...January? It's in Oxford but my hockey friends and I are considering a trip down there. I've never been to a road college hockey game yet, so I'm looking forward to it. What's it like down there?

[/ QUOTE ]

ha ha. I didn't see one had already been started.

Miami hockey is good times. I went to practically every game for 15-20 years.
There's one old schedule posters from when I was 13 or so and I'm in the picture standing around the end-boards and cheering as they were battling for the puck.

Their old arena was small but loud and good times.
In 93 Miami pulled off a couple of wins vs. Michigan back when Miami was still coming into their own and Michigan were top dogs. They packed over 3k fans in the 2200 seat arena and a lot of the SRO crowd couldn't even see the game. Incredibly exciting atmosphere.

Now they have a new arena and I haven't been there yet so I really can't speak for it.
They needed new facilities but the atmosphere of the old place was a ton of fun. I have hopes that the atmosphere at the new place is half as good.