Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 04:26 AM

Default quick turn decision

sb is 33/24/1.2 and proly a winner in the game. co coldcaller is 40/26 and proly a loser.

bad player limps utg i raise qjhh, co coldcalls, sb calls, bb calls.

flop is 22j with 2 diamonds.

sb bets, bb calls, i raise, co 3bets, sb calls, bb folds, i cap.

turn is offsuit 8 and sb bets out again.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:33 AM

Default Re: quick turn decision

Victor,

Considering sb is probably a winner, I can't put him on a hand except 22 (maybe AJ?). The pot is big enough where I can't do anything but call down here.

___1___
Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 AM

i really cant think of one possible hand im ahead of that plays this way given my action and co action. tj, qj, j9 would play the flop this way but i cant see anyone reasonable donking the turn with them.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i really cant think of one possible hand im ahead of that plays this way given my action and co action. tj, qj, j9 would play the flop this way but i cant see anyone reasonable donking the turn with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I agree. I was pretty much saying that my general approach when I can't put someone on a hand (and I have decent showdown value) is just to call down. Like I said, the only hand I really imagine him having here is 22.

___1___
Old 02-14-2007, 05:00 AM

[censored] and you are probably behind, but the pot is too big and I'm gonna give the 2BB every time.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:24 AM

If you feel you need to call down you should raise and take a free showdown unimproved. There is some chance he folds a better jack if he's a good player (you capped the flop and raised the turn, KJ isn't looking so hot). Plus CO could easily have a draw and you need to charge him - also CO could be a borderline maniac and 3 bet the turn, push SB off a winner, and you can call him down. Also if SB bet/3 bets the turn you are drawing so dead you can just fold.

-DeathDonkey
Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM

dd, raising the turn is an interesting idea and i like it vs most decent winning opponents. this guy is a bit different and i cant really describe him which is proly why he gives me so much trouble. anyway his went to sd is 48 over a couple thousand hands so i doubt he folds a jack.
Old 02-14-2007, 08:08 AM

I think there are a couple other hands sb can have here, A2s and its ilk after limp raise coldcall
Old 02-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Multi-player poker is weird. To make some sort of accurate decision here you're going to need more information than "sb is 33/24/1.2 and proly a winner in the game" or at least quantify that term so that you can make some specific assumptions about the likelihood of different actions for that player. The reason there's no particularly good answer here, and the reason why many people find spots like this frustrating, is that with so little information you're basically making a high variance decision that equates to a stab in the dark.

[ QUOTE ]
If you feel you need to call down you should raise and take a free showdown unimproved.

[/ QUOTE ]

This, however, is true.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you feel you need to call down you should raise and take a free showdown unimproved. There is some chance he folds a better jack if he's a good player (you capped the flop and raised the turn, KJ isn't looking so hot). Plus CO could easily have a draw and you need to charge him - also CO could be a borderline maniac and 3 bet the turn, push SB off a winner, and you can call him down. Also if SB bet/3 bets the turn you are drawing so dead you can just fold.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you convinced me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] As long as SB never 3-bets any jack I'm with you.

___1___