Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring

Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Open-limping?

If you have a known villain who will raise any two in an unraised pot from the button preflop, couldn't you make the argument for open limping in CO/MP3 with a strong hand with the intention of rr?
Old 11-07-2007, 06:18 PM

If you're on the BT against a very weak SB or BB that makes a lot of mistakes post flop, you might stand to gain more from them if the hand goes deep than you would if you just stole their blinds.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It has merits in every FR game from every position.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to hear the merits for openlimping the CO/MP3

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have a lot of time atm, so I'll come back to this later. But, just to start, here are some of my thoughts.

1. I think we overestimate the flop FE we gain by raising in LP. As a matter of fact, I think players give my stronger hands when I limp in LP. I find that I take the blinds with a bet on the flop much more frequently after I limp PF in LP. I do so with a lot smaller investment as well.

2. I think we underestimate winning a 10x pot.

3. As already mentioned, we need to consider our opponents. When I'm in the co and Kelisitaan is in the BB, I'm not openraising 33. I'm limping cuz he's 3 betting constantly and making my hand very difficult to play. As it stands, if he raises, now we get to make postflop difficult for him instead of me.

5. There are speculative hands that we can simply play postflop in position. We know that as the pot grows in comparison to the stacks remaining, being oop becomes less important, so why bloat it.

6. Limping can help us start to get trappy/tricky with other hands.

7. Alternate lines can really throw off excellent hand readers and make for a nice pot. I had 3 hands yesterday where I won stacks that had I played ABC, would have amounted to very little.

8. Sometimes raising will only get players to fold dominated hands. Example, you have AK otb and the blinds are both folding hands like AJ, AQ to raises when oop instead of 3betting or calling (and there are plenty of those players out there.)

In summary, as someone else mentionted, you can develop a limping game, and I've been working on doing this and balancing it with agression. I'm not saying I have any answers here, but these are my thoughts. We get in hands cheaply, increase our implied odds, and play poker in position.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have a known villain who will raise any two in an unraised pot from the button preflop, couldn't you make the argument for open limping in CO/MP3 with a strong hand with the intention of rr?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also simply call if they love firing multiple barrels when you've "shown weakness".

I guess my point in all this is that there are creative ways to take advantage of the very aggressive nature of online players.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:08 PM

I had a great example the other day against one of our posters here. I limped AA UTG with the plan of lrr most of the players at the table. However, it folded to the bb who checked. The flop came 9 high. He bet all 3 streets about 3/4, and I did nothing to make him stop. We showed down and he had flopped middle pair. He said "lol after the hand and probably thought my play was fishy. Meanwhile I'm scooping the max.