Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Software
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 03:25 AM

Default Cake Poker installation problem?

I just signed up for a Cake Poker account this evening through a link on my affiliates site. I went through the whole process and began to play. I played on three or four tables for about 10 minutes and a message popped up on my computer from microsoft saying "cake.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close". I sent the error report to microsoft as one of the options and then all the tables were shut down. I logged back in and returned to the tables and after only 5 minutes the same message popped up. I played for a bit longer ignoring the message and then all the tables froze up.

At this point I decided to email Cake Poker's support team and got a speedy response. They said their first concern was that a firewall software from Microsoft called CareOne. I don't have that software I have something called MicroTrend PC-cillen. I've used this computer to run Party Poker, Full Tilt, Poker Stars, Absolute, WPEX, Doyle's Room, and Ultimate Bet so I don't think that my computer is the problem or at least the firewall doesn't block poker sites.

My question is has anyone encountered this problem and does anyone know how to fix it? Thanks for your help in this matter.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Cake Poker installation problem?

bump just in case the day crowd who might not have seen this know what the problem may be. it has been 10+ hours and i haven't heard back from the cake technical support people yet. obviously i have no experience with them so i don't know if they are good at getting back with customers and i'd like to play soon. thanks in advance for any help you can give.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:52 PM

I've also encountered this problem. I don't know how to resolve it yet. But, I have noticed that if you ignore the error (don't click "close" or "send to microsoft" or anything like that), then Cake continues to operate normally. So it appears there's some event firing after 10 minutes (which is a concern by itself) which is failing and throwing an error back to the O/S, which Windows is interpreting as a critical error.

I'm sending them my results right now.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:19 AM

I've sent the results to Microsoft as well as an email. They directed me to Dell since I had Windows preinstalled by Dell when I purchased the computer. Here is the last email I sent to Cake regarding this problem:

Since I have not heard from your support team in several days I had a Microsoft Certified Technician look at my computer. To fix the problem we tried the following:

* Attempted to run CakePoker in safe mode (it ran for over an hour without insident, which led us to believe there was an application running resident in XP that was creating a conflict)

Based on this assumption we attempted the following solutions (none worked - program always crashed with-in 8 minutes):

* Ran MSCONFIG.sys to eliminate all unnecessary programs that initialize when the computer starts up.
* Turned off all non-critical applications using Windows Task Bar
* Uninstalled any unused or unnecessary programs, including other poker sites

Please let me know if you have any additional suggestions or if you have received similar complaints from other CakePoker users. I currently play over 20,000 hands a month at competing poker sites and regret that I will have to continue playing exclusively on their sites if this problem remains unresolved.

They quickly responded with this:

Our technical staff have been testing a beta version of Cake Poker for the last few days which should be released by Wednesday. We thank you for your input and for the information that you have previously forwarded. This should clear up the recent issues regarding players clients freezing and crashing.

HOPEFULLY THIS WORKS!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:05 PM

well the much awaited upgrade occurred and the same problem persists. this probably says a lot as to why the traffic at cake is so small. their software is full of bugs and i've read at a few other online locations that it is rare for anyone to play a full session at cake with some sort of shut down error causes the site to close.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 PM

I am still getting the problem as well even after the update. I usually ignore the pop-up error that comes up. It doesn't appear to affect the running of the program, although it is very annoying.