Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Don\'t EVER transfer money on PokerStars, don\'t even send first

It's like this on every site.
The only other option here is for Stars to hold up every transfer for a long time to make sure nothing bad appears of the illegal-credit variety on the money. And even if they held up every single transfer for 72 hours or longer that STILL wouldn't be enough time for some of the transactions to have been reported as illegal.

Think about somebody who had their number stolen and didn't realize it until the bill came a month later or something. They can't report the fraudulent activity the very next day because they never knew about it in the first place...and most people aren't frantically checking their balance every single day. They just wait for the bill.

It's unfortunate that people don't understand that "hey, I'll transfer first" does not guarantee you can't get scammed.
In fact, the person INSISTING that he can do the transfer first might even be more likely to be trying to dump off illegally obtained funds. Not positive about that though.

But think about it. They have this illegal money that they think might get flagged any minute now. They want to get rid of it and hope that you transfer back to them.
They really can't lose here. They can only win.

It would be nice if Stars, FT and other sites could all work together to stop this stuff a bit better. But it's difficult for Party or FT or whoever to know that you really did get scammed by the same guy on Stars.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:05 PM

If he can play party.. why can't he use neteller or anything the rest of the european community can use?

I've only ever transferred with people I know.. guess that's why I've never had a problem.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM

Even banning his 2+2 account is no solace. It's only 10 posts.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like this on every site.
The only other option here is for Stars to hold up every transfer for a long time to make sure nothing bad appears of the illegal-credit variety on the money. And even if they held up every single transfer for 72 hours or longer that STILL wouldn't be enough time for some of the transactions to have been reported as illegal.

Think about somebody who had their number stolen and didn't realize it until the bill came a month later or something. They can't report the fraudulent activity the very next day because they never knew about it in the first place...and most people aren't frantically checking their balance every single day. They just wait for the bill.

It's unfortunate that people don't understand that "hey, I'll transfer first" does not guarantee you can't get scammed.
In fact, the person INSISTING that he can do the transfer first might even be more likely to be trying to dump off illegally obtained funds. Not positive about that though.

But think about it. They have this illegal money that they think might get flagged any minute now. They want to get rid of it and hope that you transfer back to them.
They really can't lose here. They can only win.

It would be nice if Stars, FT and other sites could all work together to stop this stuff a bit better. But it's difficult for Party or FT or whoever to know that you really did get scammed by the same guy on Stars.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC FT(or UB)went to a 60 or 90 day hold on transferring funds depending on deposit method...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly! Make the [censored] policy just like deposit policy. You cannot cash out a deposit for 48 hours, make transfers disabled for 10 days after deposit via a speculative method.

It will solve MOST transfer fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[ QUOTE ]

I've only ever transferred with people I know.. guess that's why I've never had a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also QFT
Old 10-10-2007, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to use fault but you did (although with no knowledge) help someone commit fraud.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but if this guy is under investigation, why is he permitted to transfer out his illicit balance in the first place? If they would lock down his account transfers along with standard cash-out options (assuming they did so), this BS wouldn't even be possible, and because of this, I feel Stars is a lot more responsible for this incident than I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

How exactly is Stars responsible? They didn't tell you that the guy's funds were legitimate. You took that risk, and you got burned. For 1k, I'd be damn sure to email support and make sure the guy I'm trading with isn't under investigation or anything, and if they won't answer, I'd let some other sucker take the risk. Why the hell do you think he's offering you an extra $100 for something ePass could've done for a lot less anyway?

Besides, he had ten posts and was probably a gimmick account. Why take a risk like that for someone who isn't an established member of the community?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:02 PM

There is a risk in any transfer, this is not the first time its happened. However, you are still trading with a complete stranger, and one with 10 posts(?).. I just hope it wasn't a huge % of your bankroll. I remember asking for hundreds in paypal and would only do $10-$20 with people the first time, then wait a few weeks. I met a few people who I still trade with today.

Bottom line, don't transfer any cash you can't live without. I'm would not transfer 25% of my bankroll to the pope first.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why take a risk like that for someone who isn't an established member of the community?

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly, I didn't see any risk in accepting a cash transfer before sending one out. I didn't see any risk in accepting a cash transfer approved by Poker Stars security. I didn't suspect Poker Stars would actually process a cash transfer from someone they're investigating, and then come back shortly after and impound that money in someone else's account.

I understand the risk and I read all the good posts made in this thread but this is what it comes down to:

When you receive a cash transfer on a poker site that was approved by said poker site's security team, wouldn't you 100% expect to be able to keep this money?
Old 10-10-2007, 07:10 PM

Why is everyone dumping on OP. Raze did nothing wrong. He's an honest transferer. Some guy sent him 1K first. He sent back 1K. He did not scam anyone, even though he could have easily. I commend him on his honesty.

This is the FIRST POST EVER I have read about someone getting ripped off by having someone send first on Stars. I don't fault him for getting ripped off.

Someone please post a link to another post of someone getting ripped off by being sent first on Stars if they can find it.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:23 PM

I wasn't ripped off but I have had my account locked because of something similar. I only transfer with people I play with live. If they ran out of real money I'd lend them money and they would transfer it to my Stars account from theirs.

Eventually one of them did end up doing a bunch of fraud and even though none of that money was ever transfered to me. All of us had our accounts locked and investigated.