Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2007, 01:29 PM

Default Re: How to avoid burnout?

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious as to what other's do to avoid poker burnout?

[/ QUOTE ]

1: NLP or similar cognitive therapy
2: two weeks solid poker,two weeks abroad.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your in it for the long haul no way to avoid periods of low motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bang on! Is long haul 20 hrs a week tho? Or am i just lazy?

JT

[/ QUOTE ]

[censored] I do 20 to 25 a week and I have a 40-60 hr a week real job and a wife to be. I dont get much sleep tho.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Enough time off every day from any mental doings, including tv. Weekly a day or two off. Then one adds times off monthly and yearly as one feels necessary.

To me it's mostly not about poker but about mental loads; if one is recovered enough, though I don't play full time every day (some of the time I might play all the time the whole week but not generally), nor do I eat the same "food" all the time but mix between limit and no-limit, this limit and that limit, the number of tables, and places, 5-6-max, heads up, some full ring, other things.

Additionally it can be important to fill the mind with other stuffs different from poker and the like, as one can still get too full about poker, and that is going to make some difference, e.g. study language, listen music, people, sports, whatever but different (with that I don't mean analyses, math, reading poker and other books like that, though one could get some inspiration from books like those too).
Old 09-25-2007, 12:53 AM

danza, if you'd like to use this thread strictly for posting emails you've sent while at work, I doubt there'd be any objections. please continue
Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

try a new game

[/ QUOTE ]

Problem is u need more hours to make same money if u play a game where u got a smaller edge and also u normally dont run very well when u are tired of poker and Im not sure u should try a new game when running (semi)bad. Trying a new game is only a solution if u find that other game very funny.

I dont agree wih a lot of the guys in this thread that seems to think poker is fun and a normal day-time job is boring. My daytime-job is much more fun then playing multiple tables against people that are worse then me at poker.

When I played fulltime and got extmremly bored I tried to never play when I was tired (bordeom + tired = death) and I tried to exercise a lot. Being in a place where u dont have a computer is also a good thing.

And I agree with the poster that said that it is important to have a bankroll so big that u dont feel that going away for a week spending money on something fun will be a problem that u have to solve with more pokerhours then ever when u get back.