Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2007, 04:07 PM

Default faking a bet/fold, but actually bet/call with a marginal bluff catcher

Poker Stars - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $1/$2 Blinds - 5 Players - (LegoPoker HH Converter)

SilentNoise (SB): $369.55
BB: $212.10
UTG: $360.45
CO: $243.25
BTN: $246.25

Preflop: SilentNoise is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (5 Players)
2 folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $8.00</font>, SilentNoise calls $7.00, BB folds

Flop: ($18) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SilentNoise checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $14.00</font>, SilentNoise calls $14.00

Turn: ($46) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
SilentNoise checks, <font color="red">BTN bets $32.00</font>, SilentNoise calls $32.00

River: ($110) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">SilentNoise bets $55.00</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises all-in to $192.25</font>, SilentNoise calls $137.25

Pot Size: $494.50 ($2 Rake)

Villain is a good 2p2er, runs like 22/18 or something. Ive been running 22/18 this session, and me and villain play alot with each other. he probably thinks im a lagtard/calling station (rightly so)

- I meant to 3bet but clicked call by accident.
- I thought since i called i should be getting funky on some flops instead of c/f'ing when i dont improve
- flop i think is pretty standard i hope/think.
- on turn i think he knows that a) im capable of folding hands b) the K is a good double barrel card.

I know he knows the K is a good double barrel card, so i dont really give him credit for a K, so i carry on calling like i love to do.

When the 8 pairs on the river, its less likely he has a set now, theres only 1 combination of 88 and TT out there. And hes raised on the BTN and hes got a 30% att to steal. Has he really just picked up a set right now? Probably not i think.

I was actually think of check raising all in on the turn since i figure he knows what baluga is, and is capable of folding one pair. But then I thought since my hand has SOME showdown value and i really thought i had the best hand i thought id carry on calling down and win a bigger pot.

On the river I thought id bet weak since it looks like im betting and leaving myself the option of folding to a raise. Also, if i checked he might value shove JJ. Since its quite possible i have the 8 (or is it?), i dont think he ever pushes over my lead FOR VALUE (unless he has a boat). With all other big pairs or TPTK i think he just flat calls.

So basically i think coz my line looks so much like a bet/fold i thought i should call.

How stupid am i on a scale of 1-10?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: faking a bet/fold, but actually bet/call with a marginal bluff cat

fold to river raise please.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM

this is interesting. i wish i had the balls to do it more frequently.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:21 PM

will he double barrel you with air wen scare card cmoes ?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
will he double barrel you with air wen scare card cmoes ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes i think its pretty standard for him to double barrel with the K on the turn.

mused01: lol, oops
Old 07-24-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Re: faking a bet/fold, but actually bet/call with a marginal bluff catcher

from the bettor's eyes, opponents never have an eight here since the turn bet when the king falls usually folds any lone eight. you are not a random donk in his eyes but i still think he doesn't think you have an eight here. if i had aces and you donked the river my first thought is wtf he doesn't have an eight.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:31 PM

i think this is pretty sexy (but not sure if it's good). you would know better than any of us if it's good.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
from the bettor's eyes, opponents never have an eight here since the turn bet when the king falls usually folds any lone eight

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats true. I thought once i call the turn bet he might think "damn hes just calling coz he knows i would represent that K no matter what my cards are", so he might think because i expect him to bluff on the K, that an 8 might still be in my range.

[ QUOTE ]
you would know better than any of us if it's good.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?
Old 07-24-2007, 04:37 PM

You played it like K8. The problem however is that you have no idea what his range is. You may be inducing a raise but you have 0 read on him, so you're just setting yourself up.

If you want a funky line, maybe go for c/r flop and bet/fold turn.

What I specifically don't like it that you turned one mistake into many many more mistakes.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:39 PM

to elaborate if he can value town w/ a K or AA then this is really bad. if he can bluff shove w/ his entire 2barrelling w/ out showdown value range then it's sexy.