Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Grinding

Im undecided for the summer whether to get a job or try play online see if i can make a living out of that. Basically im just looking for any tips from people who have tried this in relation to setting targets, best sites,schedules for playing, how too keep intrested i know im being a bit vague here just im quite unsure about all this although im not a newbie to poker or anything and by the way i mainly play 50nl 9 max right now.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Grinding

u better have enought money already to pay your expenses for 3 months, and should have made it from poker.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM

there is always next year, if you arent ready this year
Old 06-07-2007, 07:30 PM

Depends on your situtation. You should have 6 months of living expenses (not including your bankrool obv). You should also have conclusive evidence that you are a winner, 100K hands AT LEAST. Also think if you want to play poker all the time, I have heard the biggest asset to a poker player is dedication. Waking up and playing for 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week is difficult, you won't always want to play. Do you think you can do that for extended periods of time?
Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also think if you want to play poker all the time, I have heard the biggest asset to a poker player is dedication. Waking up and playing for 6-8 hours a day 5 days a week is difficult, you won't always want to play. Do you think you can do that for extended periods of time?

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT, I could only do it for about a month, even when you are making good money, it can be tough to keep going everyday.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:48 PM

Grinding wears on your brain alot more than you would think. I once 8 tabled 6 hours a day for 3 weeks straight. It was very draining. I had to stop playing for a little more than a week because I just didn't feel up to it. Some people can handle it though.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:54 AM

I play about the same limits 9-12 tables at at time and for about 5-6 hours a day. I have been doing it for 5 years now. Its hard to describe my feelings about it. I HATE IT! But I also HATE my other options! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
It seems like a great idea and will be tons of fun... it isn't! Hope this helps!
Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 AM

Well, what would the job be? If it's a dead-end job that won't give you any experience except how to grill a burger then I'd consider poker.

If not then I'd take the job and play poker in evenings/weekends.

I have a lot of respect for folks who can grind out a lot of hands day after day, but not everyone can and not all who can feel happy about it.
Old 06-09-2007, 02:03 AM

Ehhh... I love the lifestyle...And I usually try and play 120-150k hands a month, been doing it for almost a year now, and it hasn't worn on me yet.

You just have to find new ways to challenge yourself and keep yourself interested in the game besides the monetary motivation...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ehhh... I love the lifestyle...And I usually try and play 120-150k hands a month, been doing it for almost a year now, and it hasn't worn on me yet.

You just have to find new ways to challenge yourself and keep yourself interested in the game besides the monetary motivation...

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait until year 5! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I liked it the first couple of years too...lol

No he is right though, i prefer it over the alternatives, but trust me when you make it work, it feels like work. And yes, you HAVE to treat it like work or you wont last long playing for a living. Good luck with your decision. Feel free to PM me if you wanna talk more about it.