Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 07:32 AM

Default Re: Semi-Bluff on a Dry Board: $3/$6

[ QUOTE ]
If my straight draw gets better, I suppose I could make a mistake with that, but I'll probably move with that, as well.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I think most of the time he will call the flop light given your line but fold to a turn bet a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
What do you suggest? Larger flop re-raise? Move on more turns? Fold PF?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion, if you take this line you should be firing the turn a lot aswell. I would rather just c/r the flop and then bet turn / river unless I have shown down a monster with the bet/3-bet line.

I definitely wouldn't fold preflop, Soah was just irritating me by telling me that we only have ten high which is pretty obvious without trying to inject the discussion with anything real so I was just pointing out that it was as asinine as folding preflop.

I think c/c donk would be ok as it looks weak which looks strong etc. You wouldn't fold out a lot of made hands like this but he should have a large enough range that folding out his non-made hands is good enough. Also he has to put you on at least a marginal strength hand.

Edit :

Here is my problem with bet sizing (if he thinks you are decent).

You have 700 to get into a 550 pot (which is a pretty awkward size if you had a made hand, for instance you could have got it all in quite comfortable without showing as much strength by c.r bet bet). If you had a legitimate hand, you wouldn't really try and bloat the pot this big with such a (strong) line giving 2 very small bets, one big and one small bet or one overpot bet left. For instnce, you could bet 220 into 550 and then 500 into 1000 here to get all in but it would kind of look suspicious.

I don't mind a bet of like 350 or 220 here on the turn now that we are here. 350 looks like we are committed because he will have to call a 350 bet on the river into a massive pot but he may call to see if we don't bluff the river (which we are unlikely to do as he will be getting great odds and "must" call). 220 is good IMO because it looks like we are trying to sucker him in but also sets up a 500$ river value bet when we hit.

Anyway this is probably just a rant, but as I said I think a turn bet is probably good, but against some opponents could be really terrible which is why I don't like the spot against a random.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Fair points WRT bet sizing. I wasn't too happy with my bet size either.

I was thinking the smallish raise would look scarier, since I'm mostly unknown, but the awkward stack sizes it leaves may override that.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:06 AM

Better hope he doesnt know about the Yeti Theorem (though I think that applies more when you 3-bet and have position on a dry board). This is going to get looked up an awful lot though.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM

against the right people this is rarely getting looked up. but it doesn't really matter because he has no pair a lot anyway.

it's a great play to add right into your play when you feel someone raises donk bets w/ nothing often.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:35 AM

Which a lot of TAGs now do thanks to GP.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 AM

This hand is fine, I do this stuff like at least once a day
Old 04-24-2007, 09:59 AM

jim why dont you have true on ignore?, makes reading the forum much easier.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:37 AM

I like fold preflop or 3bet preflop to $72. You could c/c flop as sort of a float on flop and lead turn ~2/3 pot, but I prefer c/f on this flop.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like fold preflop or 3bet preflop to $72. You could c/c flop as sort of a float on flop and lead turn ~2/3 pot, but I prefer c/f on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blah at folding this pre flop, did you see stack sizes?

Also, 3 betting here is w/e, Jim is capable of taking this away PLENTY post flop, even oop. Plus, we have big relative stacks, calling gives us better ability to control the pot if we want to.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pretty interesting and imaginative line, IMO. I think it is fine, given that:

1) His previous raises versus donk-bets appeared to be of the type that are trying to get weak hands to fold.
2) You think he knows nothing about you, and you could well be a donk.

Given this, which appears to be this case, he is raising your flop donk with a wide range of hands, possibly any 2 cards. I think you have a ton of FE and your 3-bet should be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree with this.

I'm with Arcturius, this folds out stuff like medium jacks and stuff like 88/99/TT. Donk/3bet is a pretty damn strong looking line and he's not going to want to play a 150bb pot unless he has a monster.

I like it, and I like your plan for the rest of the hand Jim. I'll give up on a blank turn.