Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Transition

I've recently switched back to Limit from playing mostly 6 max small stakes NLH (NL10, 25 and 50). I have read Ed Miller's SSHE (fantastic read), but have some questions for fullring micro/small stakes LHE players here. I don't know many people who have gone from NL to LHE, and I couldn't find an answer to these questions (if these have been answered, please direct me to the thread)

a) what are some things that NL players do too much when they switch to limit? For example, how important are things (which are essential to NL) such as c-betting, open raising, 2nd barreling.

b) coming from a 6-max NL background, would I be better suited to 6-max LHE? or is it apples and oranges? I'm currently playing LHE fullring, and trying to relearn the game (still leaks to fill).

Any answers, or links would be great. I have read the FAQ several times and done some searches, but I'd like to hear some other ideas from some regulars. Thanks.

-Lacrymosa
Old 01-05-2007, 01:09 AM

Default Re: Transition

I think its very tough to find people going from NL to limit.
Anyway though, I think the digest on the NL tab is very good for limit people switching over to no-limit.
And you should adjust your way round.
But I dont know why are you switching to Limit-6max if youre comfortable with NL. Is it the bigger swings which kick you?
Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its very tough to find people going from NL to limit.
Anyway though, I think the digest on the NL tab is very good for limit people switching over to no-limit.
And you should adjust your way round.
But I dont know why are you switching to Limit-6max if youre comfortable with NL. Is it the bigger swings which kick you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I got 2 outtered too many times which cost me lots of buy ins. I'm planning to play 2/4 limit to rebuild, and hopefully play 5/10 LHE in a few months regularly at the B&M. I think my situation is pretty rare. I don't know many players who have gone from NL to LHE. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, but it appears that most people have the opposite transition.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 AM

Really?
I didnt know. But I think limit is much simpler than NL. And *please* somebody correct me if Im wrong!
Old 01-05-2007, 02:00 AM

I'm not a very good NL player. I've read HOH 1,2 and 3 once each but that was awhile ago. I usually only play NL in a SNG style with my friends but i'll try and answer.

C-betting is standard at all but the loose passivest of tables, meaning standard at 99% of the time.

Open raising is not so important in limit. You aren't going to open raise with your small pocket pairs in limit most of the time because you want to play them multiway. But you do raise with things like AK, AA and stuff like QJ.

I will 2nd barrel unless my opponents are calling with any pair or I think they have made their hand because in LHE people call on the flop very light.

I'd start with full ring because I think it minimizes the effects of your mistakes and it's a good way of learning ways to play things. You can move to 6-max later if that's your style but 6-max forces you to make more marginal decisions.

Read SSHE a few times. I've read it about 5 and I think i'll read it again in maybe another month (got TOP for christmas so that's keeping me busy).

I know you've moved to LHE because the beats in NL are rough. Well, the beats in LHE are rough too.

One final tip is to learn some standard plays. I learned a lot from 2+2. Learn what WA/WB is and situations to go for a check raise and how to play your draws effectively. Also learn how to do a stop-n-go.

Gutshots are very playable in LHE if the pot is large enough so make sure. I usually have odds to call one bet on the flop with my gutshot.

I'm not going to make the judgement if LHE is easier or NL is easier, but to say LHE is MUCH easier is very wrong.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One final tip is to learn some standard plays. I learned a lot from 2+2. Learn what WA/WB is and situations to go for a check raise and how to play your draws effectively. Also learn how to do a stop-n-go.

Gutshots are very playable in LHE if the pot is large enough so make sure. I usually have odds to call one bet on the flop with my gutshot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. Thats very very cool. Honestly.
Because I usually blow away my gutshots on the turn.
And I had heard of stopngo still wondering if this guy is serious about it. I still cant imagine what WA/WB is in up to $50 max but I try to follow.
And yes! I wanna learn NL!
And still I want to know what Stop-N-Go-Strategy means. Maybe Shadow can help me (probably not), but some of the others experienced players.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:31 AM

I hope you're successful at limit, 'cause your avatar is outstanding.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:33 AM

I think his avatar goes perfectly with his title.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think limit is much simpler than NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call it much different, but not simpler.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

C-betting is standard at all but the loose passivest of tables, meaning standard at 99% of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. C-betting is a matter of position and board texture. If you raise UTG with AKo and get 4 callers and the board misses you low a c-bet is rarely correct.

[ QUOTE ]

Open raising is not so important in limit. You aren't going to open raise with your small pocket pairs in limit most of the time because you want to play them multiway. But you do raise with things like AK, AA and stuff like QJ.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong. Open raising is very important in limit, in fact if you made a pact with yourself that you were never going to open limp it would be a very small mistake. Not a lot of hands you want to open limp with at all, and most of them assume a loose table where 3 or more people will limp behind you.

One of the biggest difference beween NL and Limit, especially at the micros, is that you can't bet people off of a hand. It is very rare that you can price someone off of a draw. Bluffing is much less effective because it is usually only one bet to call. You will find people who will call down with ace high so representing a hand usually doesn't work.

Learn your math, you make money by folding draws when you aren't getting the odds and calling when you do.

Unfortunately, there is much more variance in Limit than NL...