Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Couple\'a Xbox 360 questions

Wow, first post in while ...... I'm only sorry it's not poker related [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I'm strongly considering buying an Xbox 360 tomorrow.

Let me preface the following questions by saying that I love Halo (which, as far as I know, isn't available for Playstation).

1) Any good reasons to hold off until we see what the PS3 will be like?

2) I understand that one can still play old Xbox games on the new 360. Is Halo 2 for 360 any different than simply playing the old Halo 2 for Xbon on the 360??

3) Regarding "Live" xbox: Can I play Halo 2 on my 360 against other *live* players who may be playing on regular old xbox's??

Thanks.

Adam
Old 09-29-2006, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Couple\'a Xbox 360 questions

To the first question, a PS3 is gonna be hard to get unless you camp out for it or have one preordered awhile ago. Europe got pushed back to next year, and still Japan is only getting 100k units, and the US 400k. There will be a huge shortage just like the 360 last year.

I own a 360 but I don't play any old xbox games on it. Halo 2 is one game that does work on it, but I don't know much else other thsn that. Might want to check out the xbox forums.

I camped for my 360 at launch, and plan on camping for a ps3...I might end up ebaying the ps3 though.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:02 PM

1) no.

2) I didn't know there was a new version of Halo 2 for the 360. probably improved graphics and achievement points.

3) yes.

1. It will have better graphics, but cost more than the 360 and the Wii put together. That is because its going to play Blueray.

2. The 360 does NOT have backwards compatability. Not genuinly anyway. For 90% of games you have to go online to www.xbox.com and download something so that they can be played on the 360. There are a ton of games that still are not available, and there are a few (Like Halo 2) that will work right away. Over time they hope to convert all Xbox games to be 360 compatible, but you still have to download that crap.

3. Yes. They also revamped the graphics on Halo and Halo 2 specifically for people playing on a 360 and they made it look a little better.

I have a 360, its great, I love halo so its a must, but to be honest they pushed its release date at the cost of quality, and now you as a consumer are looking at a product that is probably 98% finished. That 2% isnt that big a deal, but things like not having true high definition and backwards compatability are what should sway people to the PS3. Not that they cant screw up either, they just havent yet.

I have an Xbox360, but don't play it much. I do however know that not all xbox games are cross compatible with it.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:07 PM

1) IF you wait for the PS3, it could take you a while. Launch supplies will be scant. It'll also run you about 100-200 more depending on which version. And, for the most part, the exclusive games for the PS3 won't hit until next year. That being said, I have a feeling when all is said and done that it will be considered the superior system.

2) Halo 2 on XBox 360 is just updated graphics, nothing else. Same with all the games as part of the backwards compatability updates (not ALL 360 titles are playable right now).

3) I THINK You can play Halo 2 with your regular Xbox buddies via live.

All that being said -- there are some rumors of a price drop coming / HD-DVD bundle / additional game coming, so I would hold off on the 360 for a little bit if you're the kind of person who hates to see a "better" deal come along.