Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Overrated bands/musicians

[ QUOTE ]
lol at michael jackson being overrated, what a joke

[/ QUOTE ]

Michael Jackson blows. There, I said it.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:09 AM

It used to be that Michael Jackson was kids music - then he was exposed as a pedophile. That he is rated at all goes to show how many people equate sales with quality.

I nominate Metallica as overrated.. Basically a pop band who get held up as some sort of heavy rock demi-gods.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:36 AM

The Beatles
Old 07-13-2007, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The Beatles

[/ QUOTE ]

no

i also think the doors are wayyyyyy underated. i feel they re a much better band then say the Who who imo are way overated. if keith moon wasnt in the Who i think they would have nowhere near the notoriety they have.

arcade fire: funeral was really good album and they did it brilliant live. i listened to a friends copy of neon bible and wasnt overy impressed. saw them do it live at a festival the other day and it was kinda boring.

i think dylan was overrated but not by that much. well maybe not overated but he just got more recognition then other solo artists of a similiar niche. tom waits instantly springs to mind. waits is far superior to dylan imo
Old 07-13-2007, 12:10 PM

50 Cent
Old 07-13-2007, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Beatles

[/ QUOTE ]

no

i also think the doors are wayyyyyy underated. i feel they re a much better band then say the Who who imo are way overated. if keith moon wasnt in the Who i think they would have nowhere near the notoriety they have.

arcade fire: funeral was really good album and they did it brilliant live. i listened to a friends copy of neon bible and wasnt overy impressed. saw them do it live at a festival the other day and it was kinda boring.

i think dylan was overrated but not by that much. well maybe not overated but he just got more recognition then other solo artists of a similiar niche. tom waits instantly springs to mind. waits is far superior to dylan imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm. I actually think the Doors are highly overrated. As musicians they really don't do much for me. And classifying Morrison as a 'poet' is being pretty liberal with the use of the word if you ask me.
The Who, on the other hand, rocked. Certainly competent as musicians and their songs kicked major ass.

But I really disagree with your comments on Dylan. He got that recognition because of his lyrical genius (which is not a word to be bandied about, but in this case I really think it applies). Waits is great too - but nowhere near the same level lyrically as Dylan.

re: The Dead. I can't see how anyone would think they are overrated. We're talking about a band that, despite only having one top ten single (and not until 1989 at that) we able to be among the top grossing acts every single year they toured. As musicians, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better, more talented group that ever played together. From Jerry's guitar skills (and what made Jerry so great was his subtle style. He was an incredibly talented guitarist that never felt the need to hit fans over the head with it) to Lesh on bass and the two drummers - just amazing all around. I've heard them referred to as having 'musical symbiosis' and I think that sums it up pretty well. Not to mention that, unlike bands like Aerosmith, the Stones, etc - the Dead never played the same setlist twice. Thousands of live shows, the bulk of them improvised, and really feeding off their fans. They did it for the love of music (but I'm sure the money didn't hurt either). Even during years where they played 100+ shows, Jerry still toured with his solo act or the JGB. I know that a lot of people don't like their music, or just dismiss them as a dirty hippy jamband - but they were so much more and I don't see it possible to overlook their talent. Also, being at a Dead show was unrivaled in terms of overall experience. Truly a sense of community.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The Doors - great band, top 10 all time
Grateful Dead - great band, top 10 all time
Beck - top 10 90's no doubt about it
Arcade Fire - just a name
Michael Jackson - was Thriller really that great? YES it IS, a Quincy Jones production, and a genius performing great vocals. Off the wall is also great

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 PM

A friend gave me a copy of Morrison's poetry book 'The Lords and New Creatures' years ago because I was a fan. Pure crap. Self-indulgent tripe. I still enjoyed the music but any teen worship I had of the Morrison mystique went out the window fast.

I was never a Michael Jackson fan but hey, he was the King of Pop. Rated about where he belongs imo.

Bob Dylan overrated? Possibly he is dated now but the impact he had on American music will probably never be fully realized.

Beatles lol. Level.

I never could stand the Dead but understood why they had the fan base they did. I think their place in the rock pantheon is unique and hard to judge. I will admit that when I heard Jerry Garcia had died my first thought was what all the poor Deadheads were going to do. Luckily Phish came along and threw them a rope.

I always thought Phil Collins was overrated but always wrote it off as 'no accounting for taste' and he doesn't fit mine. I'll take Peter Gabriel as far as former Genesis people goes.

Rod Stewart.

REO Speedwagon. I guess that sounds funny now but one would have to be old enough to remember how much the shiznit they were when 'High Infidelity' was on the charts. Gawd they sucked.

Def Leppard.

Motley Crue for the win. Most overrated rock band ever.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Beatles

[/ QUOTE ]

no

[/ QUOTE ]

As to the Who, they invented the rock opera, and the impact of "My Generation" was so huge that even decades after the song, mainstream press like Time magazine gloated over one of their periodic retirements. Townsend was also voted best rock guitarist and in the running for best rock guitarist year after year. They definitely had a major impact.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 PM

They also got invited to Woodstock, thus confirming that the Doors were already considered overrated in '69.