Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Donk Betting TP weak kicker from the blinds

Typical loose 3/6 game at the oaks; q7 offsuit in the blinds, 6 way action, flop is 2 5 q (two hearts). Turn is a non-heart.

Question 1: How often should I donk bet top pair multiway? 4 way, I donk bet, 5 way I am lost [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Question 2: How often should I donk bet turn? 2 opponents, I donk bet all turn cards, 3 opponents, I check all the heart turn cards but bet everything else, 4 opponents, I start crying on all turn cards (can't tell if Im ahead, but dont' want to give free cards).

Question 3: Say I hold ace 5 in the bb, flop is ace 7 4 (two hearts). Pot is 6 way. Is this an auto-check? Say MP bets, 2 callers, do I fold (likely drawing to 2 solid outs and one tainted out)? If checked around and button bets, do I raise or just call?

Question 4: I didn't really think about this problem before, so I would always donk bet top pair, whether against large fields or not. Is this a big leak? This seems to be a huge problem when I have, say, j4 offsuit and the board comes 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]j [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], so I've stopped doing it on obviously bad boards. Comments appreciated!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Donk Betting TP weak kicker from the blinds

I assume we're talking about unraised pots here. I don't mind the donk on the 25Q flop with Q7. If the button is an aggressive player that will bet when checked to I may c/r the flop instead. While many people like to limp Q8-QK type hands, in general you're right to stay aggresive as check-folding top pair on a ragged board is giving up too much equity. I would fold any of these hands to a raise on any street except the flop unless it's obvious. Board texture matters a lot here. C/F J4o on a 9sTsJd board is the right idea.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 1: How often should I donk bet top pair multiway? 4 way, I donk bet, 5 way I am lost

[/ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately, this has to be determined more by the players you're up against and the flop than by the number of players still in the pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 2: How often should I donk bet turn? 2 opponents, I donk bet all turn cards, 3 opponents, I check all the heart turn cards but bet everything else, 4 opponents, I start crying on all turn cards (can't tell if Im ahead, but dont' want to give free cards).

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, this has less to do with the number of opponents than it does the board texture and the opponents themselves. Did any really tight players call the flop bet that normally don't? Are any of the players tricky and likely to wait until the turn to raise? Is anyone subconciously counting out raising chips? You know, that kind of stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 3: Say I hold ace 5 in the bb, flop is ace 7 4 (two hearts). Pot is 6 way. Is this an auto-check? Say MP bets, 2 callers, do I fold (likely drawing to 2 solid outs and one tainted out)? If checked around and button bets, do I raise or just call?

[/ QUOTE ]
2-part question. I would probably bet out and play poker from there. I would only c/f if the bettor was a scary player. Lots of players will bet middle pair here. If it checks to the button and he bets a raise is almost standard unless the button is super tight.

[ QUOTE ]
Question 4: I didn't really think about this problem before, so I would always donk bet top pair, whether against large fields or not. Is this a big leak? This seems to be a huge problem when I have, say, j4 offsuit and the board comes 9 10 j , so I've stopped doing it on obviously bad boards. Comments appreciated!

[/ QUOTE ]
The adjustment you made is good. Stop being scared to bet top pair, even against 5 or 6 players. Otherwise you may as well muck your big blind preflop.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: Donk Betting TP weak kicker from the blinds

you have TP on a pretty ragged board against a bunch of passive players (I know this oaks you speak of), flop is an easy bet, and if nobody raises, I lead turn too. you will be called by a wide range of garbage hands.