Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 10:42 AM

Default NL25 - Getting no action

Lately I have become concerned of the lack of action I am getting when I hit my set. My VPIP is 15, should I perhaps limp in more and then fold if nothing big hits to boost my VPIP so that when I do hit my set I get more action?

I don't know I just feel slightly frustrated, I've only managed capitalise on one single set in the last 2 sessions. I've hit plenty (after a barren period a couple of days ago) but a disturbing number of times the flop has been drawy or two suited and multiway meaning I have to put a raise in on the flop (not that I slowplay sets usually anyway because I don't).

And every other time bar one they have all folded to my flop raise. I don't insta-raise and I cbet constantly with my premium hands... Maybe I've been unlucky in tables lately? Or have I been lucky in the past and now it is normal what is happening for someone with my VPIP?

Sorry if these are basic questions, any input appreciated, I always try to model my play on your comments.

Cheers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: NL25 - Getting no action

It's just a subtle form of variance Ironic. Remember, you're only going to hit 1 in 8 times. Then when you do, most times you need to be up against another big hand/donk to win a big pot. I'm going through the same kind of thing right now but I've seen the cycle many times by now. Just keep playing properly and you'll hit a rush where you win all kinds of money with your sets.

Whatever you do, don't even consider limping more hands for the sole purpose of setting up more action for your sets. First off, hardly anyone at NL25 is even paying attention to what you're doing, and a VPIP of 15 is not unusually low anyway. This will all even out in the end. Keep playing your game and play your sets properly. In the end, the numbers will work out.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 AM

You have probaly just been unlucky that no-one has got a decent bit of the flop. You regret posting this when people call and hit there flush on the river too stack you though. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

What's your pfr %?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:04 AM

I play NL25 at Pokerstars and I have had no problem getting paid with sets.

If you are finding a table really tight just raise a wider range of hands from a wider range of positions and c-bet a lot more.
Always take a look at your opponents when you flop big - against a weak tight nit you might want to pick off a couple of small bets rather than blow them away.

Where are you playing?
Old 09-03-2007, 11:51 AM

Man I just started another session I hit a set bang bang on my first hand which turned to a fullhouse on the turn... he hit his two outer on the river. Sets are just killing me lately but I'm sure I'm playing them right I just want to get through this bad run.

Sounded simple thanks for replying I play at PS, may I ask what your VPIP is?

And to anyone else, what is a good VPIP for fullring 25? PFR is 5% but I think it should really be a bit higher because up until last week it was 5% over thousands of hands and due to some pointers I have started raising more and it's not reflected in my stats yet.
Old 09-03-2007, 11:55 AM

Steelerman I somehow missed your reply, that makes a lot of sense. Ignore the above then I guess. I lack experience.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:07 PM

PFR% @ 5%

I would almost ALWAYS smell a set if yer limping in then pound the flop.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:08 PM

Whatever you do, don't change the way you play for the purpose of having certain stats. That's the absolute worst thing you can do with poker tracker. Find a style that is effective and works for you. No limit gives you much more flexibility in this than fixed limit.

Try open raising your pocket pairs instead of open limping them. Raise the limpers when you're in position. You're going to have a much easier time stacking opponents in a raised pot than in a limped one.

Most of the players who are going to stack off light against your sets don't know what VPIP is, so don't try to manipulate that number to manipulate them. Raising more will make you seem looser, especially if they see some marginal hands you attack the blinds with.

And if the keep folding, just keep betting. Opponents who fold too much are just as profitable to play against as those who call too much. If your opponents always folded, you'd never lose a pot.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:37 PM

Instead of limping in more you should be rasing more. 5% is very low the King says if you start fighting back on a flop there's a good chance it's because you have a monster.

Now i doubt NL 25 players are the most observant bunch in the world but it's good too raise PP's pre-flop as when you hit the flop you dont want to have to but too much effort into getting your stack in their. In a limped pot it's always trickey to maximise the value of your hand since the pot is so small.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:33 PM

My pfr over the last week is certainly greater than 5%, probably about 8%... at least 7% i would guess. It's just that I have thousands of hands in my database where I was only raising pf 5% of the time so it skews my average. I achieved the increase in pf raise with pocket pairs and when in late position increasing my pf raise range slightly. I will keep at it I guess and see what happens. I'm actually very pleased with how I perform with the cards I choose to play with in terms of I'm not losing big pots unless I get unlucky on the river and my win at showdown is over 50% which is hopefully good I guess I was thinking maybe I should loosen up but you guys say no so I will take your advice and review in a week or so. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]