Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Why I don\'t like Bellagio

Thanks for the responses on the floor people. Great insights!
Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 PM

During the WSOP, I saw several employees who normally are chiprunners occasionally pressed into duty as floorpeople on some of the slower weeknights, especially in the last few weeks of the Series. This struck me as the strangest split responsibility situation of all.

After all, dealers at least have some kind of working knowledge of poker. Chiprunners don't necessarily have that background. I inquired idly here and there about the logic or rationale behind it, and most of the staff just kind of hemmed and hawed. Any insight from the mob here?
Old 09-09-2007, 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
During the WSOP, I saw several employees who normally are chiprunners occasionally pressed into duty as floorpeople on some of the slower weeknights, especially in the last few weeks of the Series. This struck me as the strangest split responsibility situation of all.

After all, dealers at least have some kind of working knowledge of poker. Chiprunners don't necessarily have that background. I inquired idly here and there about the logic or rationale behind it, and most of the staff just kind of hemmed and hawed. Any insight from the mob here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember right, the floor people also act as chiprunners at the Bike, correct? It seemed standard there. At the WSOP, I could see the need for pulling double duty, and it may not be so out of the norm if they do it at the Bike and probably elsewhere.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:39 PM

a floor-person doing double-duty as a chip-runner isn't really the same as a chip-runner getting thrown into floor-duty. That was his point I believe.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a floor-person doing double-duty as a chip-runner isn't really the same as a chip-runner getting thrown into floor-duty. That was his point I believe.

[/ QUOTE ]
Correct. I'm talking about the kind of employee whom one normally sees wearing those silly gold lame trimmed black blouses, suddenly going into the back, changing into a suit, and standing behind a podium taking names for lists, and potentially (horrors!) being called on to make a ruling if necessary.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:36 PM

Reminds me of one of those dateline-type news reports where they saw janitors doing nursing work at a hospital.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:43 PM

We've stayed at the Bellagio for the last three years. This past WSOP will likely be our last for a while. In all honesty the scale-tipper was paying $4.08 for a regular-sized cup of black coffee at the bakery. At least have the courtesy to [censored] me for an even number.

However, Clarkmeister seems to live there, which balances most of it out. Plus the games are excellent.

The high-limit folks have always responded to a smile and greeting by name.

The glasses on the floors beneath the tables get ridiculous. That should be their second priority, after getting rid of one of the tables on the main floor in front of the cage.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:23 AM

Getting cupholders would reduce the under-table clutter because people wouldn't be so anxious to get their empties off the table. The waitresses would then be able to pick them up with ease. They would also help the felt last longer because they wouldn't have a dozen drinks a day spilled on them. Such a concept seems beyong the thought processes of management.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Getting cupholders would reduce the under-table clutter because people wouldn't be so anxious to get their empties off the table. The waitresses would then be able to pick them up with ease. They would also help the felt last longer because they wouldn't have a dozen drinks a day spilled on them. Such a concept seems beyong the thought processes of management.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cup holders are for people who don't know how to place their drink on the felt without it spilling. Obviously the Bellagio attracts this crowd.

For what its worth I think cup holders are annoying, its my least favorite thing about the tables at the Mirage.

The real reason why Bellagio staff doesn't clean up under the tables as often as they should? They probably don't want to interrupt the players and therefore disrupt the game.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:50 AM

Why do you find cup holders annoying? Because they force you to place your glass in a specific location?