Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Vegas at XMAS/New Years

Hi all,

Wife and I won't have any family around at Christmas and are thinking about going to Vegas, either around X-mas, or maybe for New Years. What is Vegas like at that time of year? I've only been in Spring, Summer, and Fall. Are Hotel prices normally higher or lower than normal then? Do prices sky-rocket at New Years? Any info you can provide will be appreciated. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Vegas at XMAS/New Years

before and up until new years is the slowest time of the year in vegas, and hotel rooms are priced accordingly
Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM

Around Xmas, slow and cheap. New Years, crowded and expensive. Go for Xmas.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM

Not always. Christmas is often a very busy time of year for them. According to what a hotel manager told me once, Thanksgiving is when familes get together, Christmas is for partying/vacationing. There are also a lot of people for whom Christmas has no special significance, just another day off work.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 PM

There are still a lot of folks around on Christmas. Vegas seems to take on a slightly larger asian slant on Christmas Day, but I don't notice a huge difference. Just look at a calendar and figure out when you would want to take a trip to Vegas if you were trying to sneak it in around NYEve without using too many vacation days and you'll have pegged when the crowds will be in Vegas. This year it looks like on Friday Dec 28 things will pop and be rockin' until Tuesday.

Or just look at hotel prices...if IP is $200/night, it's gonna be busy while if IP is $59/night, it'll be kinda empty.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:01 AM

Vegas is NOT dead at Christmas. Contrary to popular belief. How else do you think they fill this town up during that time? They tell you it's going to be dead with no lines anywhere and low room rates. OMG 95% occupancy! It's not dead. It's quite busy, and the single busiest week of the year is from Dec 25th to January 2nd.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:18 AM

Well, all I can go on is last year, but it was friggin' dead up to Christmas. They say that December is when they clean the rugs. If not for the rodeo, it would be a ghost town.

Yeah, there are people who come here who don't celebrate Christmas, and there are people who are trying to get away from it, but for the most part it's the slowest time of the year. Slower than it has been lately, which is very slow indeed.

The day after...all bets are off. It builds very quickly. New Years is the biggest weekend of the year. Super Bowl is second.

I can't forecast this year, or the year before, but last year Dec was dead. And I was in a cardroom on the day before Christmas Eve, and every day for two weeks before. Plus, what I do for a living, taking people to the hotels. I think I had a good take on it.

If you think it's ever busy at Christmas, show up for New Years. lol
Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 AM

if your a party person, then there is really NO place like vegas for new years!! not even times square! this place is packed to the seams! but its one hell of a party!
enjoy!