Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Default is barney frank jeopardizing his own online gambling bill?

he's added a completely unrelated item - $1 billion for low-income housing. isn't that basically the same stunt the republicans pulled - port security + UIGEA?

"Hearings on the proposed legislation are scheduled to begin on July 12 with many Republicans in Congress stating that they will vote down the proposal. Although Democrats now outnumber Republicans in the lawmaking body, a situation that was not the case when UIGEA was passed, this additional legislation has angered many in Frank’s own party and made the prospect of the Bill passing increasingly doubtful."

http://www.igamingbusiness.com/artic...rticleID=14030
Old 07-03-2007, 02:50 PM

Default Re: is barney frank jeopardizing his own online gambling bill?

edit - ugh. sorry, but now i'm confused. i re-read the first paragraph of this linked article and i can't tell if the bill is in danger of passing or failing. i should have slept in.

"A proposed Congressional Bill designed to reform online gambling in the United States could be in danger of becoming reality due to supplementary legislation that promises a billion-dollar bonus for affordable housing."
Old 07-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Yup, that's a killer amendment. Will have to do some research to find out why.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:03 PM

Maybe the bill is more palatable for the dems that way. The republicans are in the minority. He does not need much of their support, if any.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:00 PM

This could be some back room dealing that Frank is using to gain support. Riders are rarely for the person who actually attaches their name to them. Frank, as a representative for Provincetown in Massachusetts, is probably not too concerned about affordable housing since its a relatively affluent area. On the other hand, he could be putting this rider in as a favor for someone else in return for a favor that he has requested, which we do not know about at this time.

This is a relatively common practice in DC. One congressman asks another to attach a rider that relates to an issue which may be very sensitive in their area, but not that sensitive an issue in the area of the person that actually puts their name on the rider. In return, the first congressman repays the favor in some other way.

We'll never know the answer on this one for sure, but I'd be willing to bet this is some kind of favor in return for helping build support for the bill.

It could also be a way for him to say to any opponents who vote against this: "You don't support affordable housing for America's families?"

****I'm sure FoF would love that last line.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:05 PM

A billion is too much though. With the new pay-as-you-go budget rules this is a sure death move.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:16 PM

He will tell the others, "So, you're going to vote against the poor Americans who need help with low income housing? How can you do such a thing?"
Old 07-03-2007, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he's added a completely unrelated item - $1 billion for low-income housing. isn't that basically the same stunt the republicans pulled - port security + UIGEA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this is the Barney Frank I've always known. Recall also that he's already loaded the bill with taxing opportunities.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM

O.K., what I have found is that this was originally a totally separate bill. It looked liked it was going nowhere because it was not a high priority and pay-as-u-go. Franks is Chair of Housing, and it is his pet issue. So he attached it to the gambling bill so it would have a revenue fund. People are unhappy. Leadership was not consulted about the gaming bill in the first place, but were going to go along, mostly because they need the money for pay-as-u-go, so they will have some budget flexibility. Then, suddenly a chunk is eaten up with his pet project, they foresee more people's added on before it's over, and leadership is losing the whole reason they are willing to go for it to begin with. Anybody who can call him needs to and ask to re-separate the bills.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM

Interesting. Though many gaming commentators seem to think it is a bad move, I have faith in an experienced lawmaker like Frank.

Gonna be tough for someone to vote against providing affordable housing for the poor who really need help.

Then again......

obg
Closed Thread