Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Default Re: Hand Advice Please

I think I have my answers that the correct move is to definitely call the shove but it's up in the air whether the first raise the action is call or push. I myself still go for call but I can see either argument. Folding to 3rd person push is the wrong course of action though.

Thanks for the responses everyone, this is my first hand history post in the years I have played and I appreciate the responses!!
Old 10-30-2007, 11:38 AM

rock...stacks are so shallow you have to push it over the first raise...chances to get big money in the middle with a hand as strong as AKs are rarer than you think late...blinds, antes and aggressive players will whittle you own if you let them
Old 10-30-2007, 01:20 PM

yeah, just push the first time around, with AA or KK a call woulda been fine.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:50 PM

are you saying a caller that has AA or KK would have been fine versus my AKs? Is that because I just have to chalk it up to bad luck and can't over analyze it too much?

thanks
Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 PM

Calling the first raise is bad. Just shove all in.

As played, call player 4's raise.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:55 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had been playing tourneys that day and had got knocked out with one with AKs and also beat another guy with KK vs AKs so I think that played a part in me being too tight. "Waiting for a better spot" is silly because that was the spot I wanted but sometimes when I don't see a wired pair my brain shuts off. Also I just had this sense that the guy had AA or KK the few hands he had been playing but it could just as easily have been a squeeze play. I realize my mistake now but here's an email I sent to someone else regarding my thinking BEFORE I posted on 2+2:

'here's what i did as i folded the hand. i figured even with calling i was at best a 48-50% favorite and way behind if he has AA or KK (he certainly could have pushed with the biggest hands to get it down to only 1 opponent with 2 interested thus far and others to go). i figured with still 25k in chips i would wait for a better spot with fold equity that i might have and didn't have in this hand. i got that spot about 10 hands later and pushed FIRST IN with TT. same guy calls with KJs (i'm in great shape at the flop and a 73.74% favorite to win then 75% on the turn) and he hits runner runner for the flush to knock me down and I went out 44th a few hands later which was just short of the bubble".

For someone that has been playing for so many years and hundreds upon hundreds of tourneys I can't believe I made this weak fold but I guess anyone is capable of making mistakes here and there.

Additional question, how much different does it make things if I have AKo or AQs??

Thanks!!!!
Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Very little difference. If he's as good a player as you say he his, he could be doing this with total air about 10%, maybe even 20% of the time depending on the situation. You've got the odds against his range. Take your edge. If you bust or get beaten, oh well, you would have played it right and that play would make you money in the long run.

Pilket
Old 10-30-2007, 04:44 PM

Shove first time around.

As played ship it in and race good