Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 11-28-2007, 12:30 AM

Default KQ wussy play I guess ?

Well this was my last blast in tonight's freeroll.

My indecisive, wussy opening bets probably did me right?

The funny thing is I was watching Rick Braddy's free Sit'N go video and watched as he aggressively bet with only high pair on the flop. I tried the same thing and was amazed to see it work [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I continued with that TAG style and it got me up to my all time (of a whopping ~2week tournament career) of ~14K in chips !

But as my stack got bigger, I started getting more tentative, and started playing "tight/passive/wimpy" [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

http://www.pokertester.com/SitNGo-Video/

Another example of my wimpy starting bets, should I have gone all in? ...

In Braddy's video, he was betting 20xBB !!! (which would have been all in for me here).

Sheez, this is only FREEROLLS Mike, get some cahonies [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]....

Mike

Full Tilt Poker, NL Hold'em Tournament, 250/500 Blinds, 50 Ante, 9 Players
LeggoPoker.com - Hand History Converter

UTG: 6,270
UTG+1: 24,835
UTG+2: 11,766
MP1: 50,081
Hero (MP2): 7,475
CO: 11,007
BTN: 10,160
SB: 69,375
BB: 46,774

Pre-Flop: (1,200) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] dealt to Hero (MP2)
4 folds, Hero calls 500, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to 2,700</font>, SB folds, BB calls 2,200, Hero calls 2,200

Flop: (8,800) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (3 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets 500</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to 7,410 and is All-In</font>, BB folds, Hero calls 4,225 and is All-In

Turn: (18,250) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)
River: (18,250) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: 18,250 Pot
Hero showed Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Ace King high) and LOST (-7,475 NET)
BTN showed T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (a pair of Aces) and WON 18,250 (+10,775 NET)
Old 11-28-2007, 12:52 AM

Default Re: KQ wussy play I guess ?

you have enough chips that you can make it 1500 preflop instead of calling
as played, i probably fold to the reraise and overcall
Old 11-28-2007, 01:54 AM

I would raise (and fold to the reraise) preflop.

As played preflop I really don't understand the flop minbet. I'm assuming you want him to fold, but you're giving him (without doing the math) 18-1.

And why did you call his all in on the flop?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:23 AM

Come in for a raise pre-flop and avoid disaster [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2007, 04:35 AM

Reraise Pf. never limp!
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 AM

It wasn't the wimpy play preflop that did you in. Even if you had made a strong bet there is a good chance that you get called by the AcTc anyway, play is pretty loose in a freeroll tourney and honestly thats where you get your best chance at picking up chips, getting the AT suited to call your AQ when Axx lands on the flop. What it might have done tho is made your opponent think about folding on the flop IF you had made a strong bet preflop. But instead you chose to min raise and give him every reason to put you as weak and raise you all in.

Your mistake IMO was not letting the hand go on the flop. You took a chance and saw a board, you made a stab at taking the pot once you whiffed and the board failed to hit you (albeit a very weak stab), and you should have folded your no hand/no draw when he reraised you all in.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:18 PM

Here is something very important to consider.

When you have a weak hand (like yours is on the flop) and you plan on calling an all-in (like you did on the flop), it is four hundred million times better to just move all-in yourself instead of betting (especially a min bet like you did on the flop).

There are many other lessons in this hand but the above one is the most important IMHO.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:20 PM

I would much much much rather push preflop than raise and fold a reraise.