7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 1 33.33%
10 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Re: **Fantasy Basketball Advice Thread**

[ QUOTE ]
In a dynasty league starting this season full of complete morons I have the #1 overall pick. Our categories are pts, rbs, assists, 2ptFT%, 3ptFT%, block, steals, TOs, and FT%.

Head to head. Positions are just guard, forward, and center.

Who should I take?

[/ QUOTE ]

Kevin Garnett
Old 10-13-2007, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone just give me some super basic drafting tips for a standard h2h league?

It's the 9 basic scoring stats, and I literally have no idea what I'm doing.

Basically if you take someone who sucks at 1 category you just totally forget about trying to win those categories?

Again, I'm just looking for super basic tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

The basic idea is to go all out for 6 categories and ignore 3. The reasoning of course is there is you don't need to win every category, so if you try your hardest at fewer cats, you have a greater chance of "winning" the matchup. (so far easy stuff)

the trick is to find position players that fit into the roles you want; for example, some people go "small ball," and get big players that get 3pts, assists, and steals. Likewise, some people go "big ball," and get small players that get FG%, rebounds, and blocks.

Points are VERY overrated and obviously the stat least affected by variance; people who build point-dominated teams typically lose badly. (Even if they focus on FG%, 3pt%, FT%, and points - basically efficient scorers)

H2H differs from Roto in that you really don't need 3 categories at all. As in, if you're going big (depends on which categories you use, but that is TYPICALLY points, rebounds, blocks, FG%, and TOs) people who get assists are worthless; people who get steals are worthless; and people who hit 3pters are worthless. Just build on that.

(Some really cool H2H guys then are jason kidd for big ball teams, lamar odom for small ball, etc.)
Old 10-13-2007, 03:02 PM

I love you bobbos <3

Last question. I've tried googling it a bit, and essentially your first 3-4 picks (I guess depending on league sizes) should be your superstar lock picks. Does this big/small gearing stat strategy apply to the first rounds or only later?
Old 10-13-2007, 03:39 PM

That makes sense bobbos. Am I drafting for last place again or can I turn it around... right now have Yao, AI, Billups, Deng, Artest. I'm thinking two big men with next pick like Biendres/West/Harrington/Lee. My strategy is pretty bad probably, heh.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love you bobbos <3

Last question. I've tried googling it a bit, and essentially your first 3-4 picks (I guess depending on league sizes) should be your superstar lock picks. Does this big/small gearing stat strategy apply to the first rounds or only later?

[/ QUOTE ]
<3 you too fonkey [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

without a doubt you should have a complete idea of the team you're shaping from the 1st round onward. people go for 'best player available,' then try to refocus and shift a different strat later on the draft. if you're creative and can adapt during draft day, more power to you. most can't tho.

so clearly id tailor my strat around who is around the first few rounds, bc those are your cornerstone gusy (simply bc the "do it all" guys like marion and KG go in the first round, and the other big stat guys go faaaast). not a bad idea to make 2 draft lists and just adjust based on what people are doing (do the opposite)
Old 10-13-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That makes sense bobbos. Am I drafting for last place again or can I turn it around... right now have Yao, AI, Billups, Deng, Artest. I'm thinking two big men with next pick like Biendres/West/Harrington/Lee. My strategy is pretty bad probably, heh.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can turn it around! AI is an overrated fantasy player. ppl love him because of his PPG, but again, that stat is the easiest to get. Billups too was not the best 3rd rounder... However, looks like spg (artest ai) and apg will be solid. time to get a big man who can hit 3pters!

So it looks like oyu're going small. I also like the direction of the team; Artest looks like a great pick (if you got him in the 5th round) Not sure if this is 10 team or 12 team league, but of those guys you're thinking about:
from a NBA perspective, Biedrins is the best available. He's also a sexy pick. but he's not what you want!
from a 2p2 perspective, Lee is the best available. He's a sneaky pick. but he's not what you want!
No idea why you lumped west in with that bunch. He will likely fall on waivers. Don't waste him with a pick.

I'd get Harrington. He's def. not the best available or has the most potential to grow (lee and biedrins def. surpasses him) but he'll score alot, he'll get a decent amount of 3s, and his FT% wont hurt you. (wheras biedrins cannot hit any FTs, his PT will go up, and.. yeah) Yao is a great pick btw for FT% bc he's a nasty FT shooter and fills the C spot.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd get Harrington. He's def. not the best available or has the most potential to grow (lee and biedrins def. surpasses him) but he'll score alot, he'll get a decent amount of 3s, and his FT% wont hurt you. (wheras biedrins cannot hit any FTs, his PT will go up, and.. yeah) Yao is a great pick btw for FT% bc he's a nasty FT shooter and fills the C spot.

[/ QUOTE ]My pick is due soon. All of this makes sense. Yeah, Yao + AI were my keepers. I finished last and have the sandwich picks. Who other than Harrington should I grab? One of the other bigs? I can get Harrington + West, Biendres, Lee and also Nene I forgot about or Harrington + more small guys. Monta Ellis, Ricky Davis, Richard Jefferson, Rip Hamilton, Foye, Rondo, etc. still there.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:23 PM

If Bobos just said David West will fall on waivers he has no idea what hes talking about.

But just in case hes talking about Delonte...

What do you think of this squad so far?

LBJ
Wade
Yao
Tmac
J. O'Neal
Felton
Bogut
Prince
Lee
Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Bobos just said David West will fall on waivers he has no idea what hes talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
west missed so many games last year, wont be a big part of the NO offense, and is not as good as those other 3 players. i dunno, im low on him. but you're right, he wont be on waivers.

edit: just looked at stats, wow, im so wrong here. no idea he was putting up those numbers. wow, grab west. time to up him on my draft list!

double edit...
[ QUOTE ]
LBJ
Wade
Yao
Tmac
J. O'Neal
Felton
Bogut
Prince
Lee

[/ QUOTE ]
your squad looks good. like... very good. how'd they let you get lbj and wade? I dont like the bogut pick, though.
Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 PM

west should be one of them, easily