7 0 0%
8 0 0%
9 1 33.33%
10 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2007, 05:53 PM

Default Re: **Fantasy Basketball Advice Thread**

[ QUOTE ]
Out of nowhere: should a H2H league do weekly or daily lineups? The basic goal is to reward attentive and smart owners while preventing people from winning counting categories purely through churning tons of games.

I'm thinking weekly lineups with a short bench and no waivers, or daily with a deep bench and long waivers. Which would be better?

[/ QUOTE ]
weekly, daily lineup change is ridic. do like 7 day waivers too.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Weekly lineup changes are a must unless you have daily H2H games (be the first league I've heard of that does that).

Daily waivers can work if your league is set up right - we do that in the NBN / NBN2. Of course, those leagues are so deep that the waiver wire is largely meaningless. Dikembe Mutombo anyone?
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Out of nowhere: should a H2H league do weekly or daily lineups? The basic goal is to reward attentive and smart owners while preventing people from winning counting categories purely through churning tons of games.

I'm thinking weekly lineups with a short bench and no waivers, or daily with a deep bench and long waivers. Which would be better?

[/ QUOTE ]

weekly lineups by far. it's sad that H2H daily seems to be the standard everywhere, because it adds a lot of variance in that one injury to a star player and you're pretty [censored].

playing 12v13(or worse) is no fun(or skill).

also it prevents churning, which is ridiculous as well
Old 10-19-2007, 08:19 PM

uh oh, my girlfriend just told me ive been spending so much time on fantasy basketball im soon going to have a 'fantasy girlfriend'. she doesnt get how much i love ranking players!!! [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

(although i did laugh, I have a draft tomorrow at 8AM. she wants to go out tonight - looks like we're staying in so i can get up early!!!)
Old 10-19-2007, 09:21 PM

I had no idea so many people supported Weekly Updating. I accidentally joined one for Hockey and i hate it. It's probably more me being used to every league i join being Daily though.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:48 AM

Daily transactions for sports that don't play daily (baseball is the only one that comes close) are silly. They reward the owners who devote the time to making transactions every day. That's fine if that's your goal...but I prefer leagues with more mature owners who generally can't devote that level of time to a fantasy league.

The only way I could see daily transactions making any sense would be if there was a transactional fee. Charge $1 per transaction in a $100 entry fee league and you'd (properly) put the brakes on "my player's got an off day today, this scrub's playing today, time for a 1-day sub!"
Old 10-20-2007, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Daily transactions for sports that don't play daily (baseball is the only one that comes close) are silly. They reward the owners who devote the time to making transactions every day. That's fine if that's your goal...but I prefer leagues with more mature owners who generally can't devote that level of time to a fantasy league.

The only way I could see daily transactions making any sense would be if there was a transactional fee. Charge $1 per transaction in a $100 entry fee league and you'd (properly) put the brakes on "my player's got an off day today, this scrub's playing today, time for a 1-day sub!"

[/ QUOTE ]
fwiw in the league im drafting for right now (12 teams, H2H, 9cats but 3 count for .5 points, weekly lineups) it costs money to add/drop. (260 league, 2 per transaction, winner gets like 75%, 2nd 25%). so far at 7th took nash and got wade (he slipped to 14th) looks like im small ball this year
edit: picked up tmac in 3rd, looks like gerald will slip to me in the 4th. nice nice googogog
Old 10-20-2007, 04:29 PM

it's a points league? or a category league?

also, wade really really isn't your prototypical smallball player, he's actually has by far the most value on a bigball team.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:48 PM

Ok, a roster post but problems/specific questions!

10-team H2H daily transaction league, only one Center spot, and most had homer picks way too early (I got Marion in the 8 slot). Somehow I brain-farted big-time and only picked up one PG in Baron Davis (I picked up Jason Williams from the FA pool). I'm not overly hot about my SG's but I think they're ok in Kevin Martin/Bell/Kapono, but let's just say I need Guard help. Over-abundance of solid C's and PF's, so what G's should I be looking to trade for and what PF's will get me good value (getting Allen/Pierce will be impossible since most are Celts fans).

PG - Baron Davis
SG - Kevin Martin
G - Raja Bell
SF - Shawn Marion
PF - Pau Gasol
F - Al Jefferson
C - Mehmet Okur
UTIL - Al Harrington
UTIL - LaMarcus Aldridge
BN - Jason Kapono
BN - Jason Willaims
BN - Brad Miller
BN - Andrew Bynum
Old 10-20-2007, 07:49 PM

Sounds like weekly is probably the way to go...I set my league to "Allow roster changes: Weekly on Monday." This is "lock the weekly active scoring lineup Sunday at 11:59PM" and not "only allow any changes like picking up and dropping players on Monday," right? I really want to make sure this is the right thing.

What if I have a guy active one week but I want to drop him and pick up someone else? How does Yahoo handle making moves like this in the middle of a week? Does it keep track of who is "playing" and scoring for you in the current week separately from who you currently "own"? That would seem to be the most logical way.

Thanks for the help--being the commissioner as a rookie is tricky. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]