Moran 40 39.22%
Jerk 25 24.51%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Official NBA Season Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my favorite thing about that finish is that they didn't call a timeout. A methodical Sloan team no less. I've been saying for years teams should just inbound it and go.

[/ QUOTE ]

Players are so afraid of fouling in that situation just having your best ball handler run as fast as he can down the court is often the best play. It looked to me like Ilgauskas actually got out Williams' way at the bucket (though Williams did make one small change of direction at the end, and Z might have just taken a bad angle to cut him off).

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point. I just think of it as.. these are frickin' NBA players. They know how to ball. Secondly, speed is one of the hardest things ot defend. Thirdly, the other team is usually so excited, someone is out of position. Playing it like this puts them on their heels. You should be able to get a high percentage shot.

I just think most times it's one of those things where the coach is afraid to get criticized.

I mentioned this in another basketball thread somewhere, but I still think Danny Ainge should've been 10 feet from his basket when Paxson's 3 pointer fell in the finals. No way would he have been covered. Teams need to practice this.

[/ QUOTE ]

What exactly are you saying regarding Paxson and Ainge??

Edit: nm...I see someone else had the same confusion and asked you already

100,730 and counting
Old 11-08-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
tuq- You at times need to turn off your SunsSunsSUNSUNS filter and look at the general point. In last night's game had a Cavalier just stayed at the Utah end of the court during Williams' drive would've been able to tie the game. He's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?? Is everyone speaking in nonsensical and confusing sentences on purpose today?

100,729 and counting
Old 11-08-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
tuq- You at times need to turn off your SunsSunsSUNSUNS filter and look at the general point. In last night's game had a Cavalier just stayed at the Utah end of the court during Williams' drive would've been able to tie the game. He's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?? Is everyone speaking in nonsensical and confusing sentences on purpose today?

100,729 and counting

[/ QUOTE ]

Says the man with an as-yet unexplained odometer spinning in reverse at the end of every post.

-McGee
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM

it's not that confusing. Williams is bombing up the court with little time left. There's no reason for Damon Jones (or whoever), who is totally out of the play, to be sitting on their own 3 point line. Just camp out at the opposite foul line. Either way, if Williams misses it, Z can huck a pass for the win, or if he hits it, for the tie.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:04 PM

kidcolin,

Is Haterade the official beverage of the Celtics? Where's the love?

There is no way that, in game six of the finals and down a point with just a handful of seconds left, that any coach just lets a team freelance and push the tempo. Besides, this is Paul Westphal we're talking about, he needed to get the players together and draw up an awesome play in which KJ gets his shot blocked and the series is over, gg no re. Although I wouldn't put it past him to draw up a play in which Ainge hangs out on the wrong end of the court and leaves Paxson wide open on purpose, so maybe it isn't such a wacky idea.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM

Last year, now that I think about it, the Cavs actually did the "leak out and book it" version of this a few times las t year at the ends of halves and quarters(but never the game, Mike Brown needs to call three or four time outs so he can draw up his patented "Lebron, dribble for a while and then try to score somehow" play).

I don't think I've ever seen an intentional cherrypicking guy, but I've seen some where a guy gets hurt or ends up sliding out of bounds or something.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way that, in game six of the finals and down a point with just a handful of seconds left, that any coach just lets a team freelance and push the tempo.

[/ QUOTE ]

right, but it's only because the coaches are worried about their own neck in this instance. I think it's the right play. But it's something the coaches have to call before the tying/lead taking shot goes in. It has to be decided upon in an earlier timeout.

Depends on time, too. With more than 5 ticks on the clock, I say just inbound it and go. It probably takes the Williams/Pauls of the world 3 seconds to catch an inbound pass near the foul line and get to the other foul line.

If you're playing against KG, you're probably better off calling a TO.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It has to be decided upon in an earlier timeout

[/ QUOTE ]

Or coached in practice.

It's not as big an issue in the NBA because the teams get plenty of timeouts, but I see college teams waste time outs all the time so the coach can tell players very obvious things.

I asked a few coaches that I know about this once, and they all said that they do try to coach situations in practice, but that the kids lose their heads in the moment. I don't know why it's so hard to play and think the game at the same time.

-McGee
Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM

rip is dirty
Old 11-08-2007, 11:28 PM

detroit will win this game. Sheed says so.

Also, I think Noah, as much as I hate him, is going to be a very good player in the NBA.