Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 07:09 AM

Default Accept this job offer?

So I just got offered a job by a large oil company (I'd rather not specify it, but it's basically Shell/Chevron/Exxon Mobil, etc) that would start in June 2009. It would start in June 2009 even though I am a senior now since I plan on earning my Masters in Mechanical Engineering before starting a career.

I'm not sure whether or not I should accept it. I like the people I've met so far within the company, but it's not my ideal job (I'm interested more in product design type stuff - think IDEO or other design firms). I still think it'd be interesting, just not ideal. I'd be working in CA (East Bay Area), so it's a pretty good location, and close to where I am now (South Bay Area). The offer looks really good to me (I don't know what I should be expecting, but it seems like a LOT for a first job out of college - about $15k/year higher than I was expecting).

Unfortunately, I wasn't going to start applying for design-firm type jobs until next fall, as that would be closer to when I'd want to start working. This company is giving me until January to decide, which means I won't be able to comparison shop and weigh the different offers. If I turn this offer down, I still have a shot of getting a different job with them, but they couldn't guarantee my preferred location or job type.

Any thoughts or input on what to do? Should I decline this job to pursue product design? Should I accept the offer so that I have job security and won't have to worry about applying for numerous jobs while doing a Masters in ME next year? Anyone have any experience moving from an ME career to more product design type stuff?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Accept this job offer?

If you do accept the job, is there a minimum number of days that you have to work there?
Old 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM

I'm actually in somewhat the same situation right now. I find that two things really matter; how badly you want to get into product design and your chances of getting there.

It seems you are attractive to employers in that you'll always get a decent job, no? In that case - I say go for it!

Oh, and working in the Bay area seems like the dream location for me, so I am jealous of you.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:38 PM

I don't have any advice since I have never been through this type of thing, but there are some questions I have to ask.

Where will this job take you(location wise)? Are you comfortable with going there? What kind of hours will you be working with these different types of jobs?

Just some things you might want to consider. Also it seems from this that your are doing well in school if you have been sought out by a major company for a high paying job. I have a feeling if you a performing on that level you will be able to find a job you enjoy that will pay you well enough.

I could be completely wrong though.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:19 PM

Considering the state of the job market nowadays for recent college grads, this looks like it should be accepted for sure. I doubt many others are going to be in situations where they will be offered a solid salary to work somewhere reasonably close to home, while having obvious security doing something that you describe as "pretty interesting".
Old 10-17-2007, 02:33 PM

Research the job market and try to get some interviews between now and January. If you see strong potential for open positions at some other company that your really interested in, decline this one. Otherwise, take it! Sounds like a great location and great pay. Take it and get some good experience on your resume.. you can always move into your "ideal" job if something opens up later on. At least you have until January to decide.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:47 PM

I'd say take it. If after you begin work you discover you are grossly underpaid or were misled you can always find another job. Why not take a job that has an ideal location, is interesting and apparently pays more than expected?
Old 10-17-2007, 03:22 PM

"If you do accept the job, is there a minimum number of days that you have to work there?"

This I do not know. I am taking a tour of the refinery where I'd be working in a few weeks and I'll be asking lots of questions.

"Where will this job take you(location wise)? Are you comfortable with going there? "

It's in the Bay Area, which is definitely one of my top choices. It's also where a lot of the major design firms are, so it's not like I'd be sacrificing location by working for a design firm.

"What kind of hours will you be working with these different types of jobs?"

I have no idea. I'll be asking about hours and stuff at the tour.

I'm also planning on asking some of the professors I respect here, and one of them is actually the co-founder of IDEO, so I'll be asking him about ways of getting into design, and if taking this job would help/hurt my chances to move into design later.