Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2007, 06:36 AM

Default Is \'Prime Game\' ticket pricing standard? (or, \"Tampa rapes Sox fans\")

Of course, it's those seats in the middle of the pack that would interest me--the ones where they almost DOUBLE the price.

Does every team do stuff like this?

I just went to the team's website to try to lock up nine outfield seats for the Sunday game (four adults, five kids, my treat). I didn't, though, because TicketMaster wanted to tack on $3.75/ticket "convenience fee". I wouldn't sweat that if I was buying a pair of tickets, but I just don't think that TM is providing me with $34 worth of "convenience".

My questions:

--Is all this standard, and I'm just a clueless newb? Admittedly, the last time I went to a Red Sox game, their starting pitcher was either Bruce Hurst or Roger Clemens.

--I'm going to the Saturday game (without the kids). If I buy those nine Sunday tickets at the box office, do I dodge TicketMaster's taxation without representation?
Old 07-21-2007, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Is \'Prime Game\' ticket pricing standard? (or, \"Tampa rapes Sox fan

Huh. Neither Seattle nor Cleveland does this, I'm pretty sure.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Is \'Prime Game\' ticket pricing standard? (or, \"Tampa rapes Sox fan

I know Baltimore also does this against the Red Sox/Yankees. I thought the practice was fairly common, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:22 AM

The Washington Nationals do this too but their premium game prices are only $4-$10 above the regular game pricing. Teams like the Phillies, Mets, Cardinals, and Giants have been tabbed as "premium".
Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Re: Is \'Prime Game\' ticket pricing standard? (or, \"Tampa rapes Sox fans\")

teams are starting to do this.

colorado doubled their ticket prices when the yankees came to town - obviously that doesn't happen very often.

i don't know - if demand rises, price should too. why let scalpers get all the action when a big-time team shows up? then again, the ticket prices don't go down if kansas city comes to town.
Old 07-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Default Re: Is \'Prime Game\' ticket pricing standard? (or, \"Tampa rapes Sox fans\")

This is becoming more common. The Rockies were the 1st team to start doing this at the start of the decade. The Mets started doing it around 02/03, and niw a bunch of teams are doing it. The Rockies are the worst offenders.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:56 AM

The Mets have like 3 tiers. It sucks.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM

Even with the Red Sox in town, is Tampa going to come even remotely close to selling out?

Can you just buy the cheapest tickets and move down?
Old 07-21-2007, 11:56 AM

Philies do it.

Further, they allocate a block of tickets to these "prime games" that you cannot buy individually. In order to get tickets to these games you must buy a 4 game pack of tickets, meaning that if you want to go to the Phils/Red Sox game, you need to buy tickets to three games they package with them, which just so happen to usually be against garbage teams that nobody wants to see.
Old 07-21-2007, 12:04 PM

detroit hasn't done this yet, as far as i know