Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Default Re: Pakistan

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't the US put Musharaf into power to begin with? Isn't the US funding his entire operation? Isn't the US continuing to fund his operation right now while he has declared the state of emergency?

[/ QUOTE ]
-No
-No
-At the moment.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Man I'd love to ship some relativist pansies off to Pakistan for a couple of months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil,
In spite of your irrational belief in Global Warming, I think you may have a conservative streak after all.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how much longer till the muslim extremist take over and get their hands on all those nukes they have? They'll certainly use them against us, Europe, Israel, etc.., our retaliations will be meaningless. Seriously, this is a MAJOR concern right now that Al-Qaeda will be armed to the teeth after Pak falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll tell you why I'm not worried. The army is a very strong political entity in Pakistan. Unlike here in the US, the army has not been subdued and neutered. I doubt the army will let any nuclear weapons fall into the hands of any fundamentalists. If for nothing else, because of conscious. I assure you from my own personal experience, those men in control of Pakistans nuclear arsenal are keenly aware of the responsibility they have been entrusted with. They will destroy, disable, or remove their nukes from the country and turn them over to the US or other third party for safekeeping or dismantling before they will turn them over to a state who will use them in an attempt to turn history back to the seventh century.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't the US put Musharaf into power to begin with?
No they did not. The US had nothing to do with Musharrafs rise to power. What lead you to think otherwise? I have never heard anyone claim this before.

Isn't the US funding his entire operation?
You think that fund from the United States is the only income that is available to the President of Pakistan? You sure are underestemating the Pakistani economy.
Isn't the US continuing to fund his operation right now while he has declared the state of emergency?
Yes, they have funded Pakistani military operations for some time now, but I suppose that the current situation in Pakistan will force the US to revise their relationship with Pakistan if it continues

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM

I'm going to have to reread my national geographic. I got the impression from a story in that magazine that the US was involved with Musharaf's rise to power. I may have misinterpreted.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:56 PM

From what I know about that topic the only part the United States had in the events that lead to the coup in 1999 when Musharraf gained control was that Clinton pressured then Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif to withdraw Pakistani forces from Kargil in Kashmir. This was one of the issues where Sharif had disagreements with the Pakistani military led by Musharraf.

Sharif tried to dismiss Musharraf from his position, but the Pakistani military denied to follow the orders from Sharif which would have led Musharraf unable to return to land in Pakistan after a trip out of the country.

The coup was carried out by the Pakistani military and Musharraf seized control of the country. Ive never heard of any US involvement in this at all, and I really dont see why Clinton or the US government would have any interest in interferring with these events.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Default JEEZUS....Bush Is Stuuuuu-PID

Bush is undermining Musharef telling him he needs to hold elections and give up his military uniform.

1st. The USA should butt-out of the internal politics of an ally on the War On Terror. Granted they are a half-ass allies but it beats the alternative. If you are going to meddle in another countries politics, then do so against an ENEMY not an ally....

2nd. This reminds me of Jimmy Carter's attempt to undermine the Shah of Iran. The result of Carter's idiocy was that we have a crazy theocracy in Iran that spreads terrorism throughout the world. Thinks Jimmy. I guess Bush wants the radicals to take over Pakistan.

3rd. There is a time for bullhorn diplomacy....this is not one of those times. If he has a beef with Musharef, they are better ways to handle this.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:45 PM

Pakistan has the nuke but as a State cant even project the rule of law over the entirety of its own territory.

That cant be good.