Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 12:18 PM

Default Re: UFC 75 -- is it live on Spike?

[ QUOTE ]
but it seems like maybe they are retiring the Pride titles altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, PRIDE is completely dead at this point. White did try to keep it going, but in Japan, they don't really want foriegners running things, and w/o TV in Japan all you would be doing is wasting money to put on a product.

PRIDE's biggest problem was when the Yakuza stuff came out . While it's known that the Yakuza have a hand in almost everything major in Japan, it just isn't acknowledged publicly. WHen it does get out in the public like that, you can pretty much sign the death card right there. Even under different ownership, there is still the taint on the company from that Scandal
Old 09-09-2007, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why did they not give Rampage the Pride title?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know what they are doning. I would think that the Pride titles would have to be contested in a ring, but it seems like maybe they are retiring the Pride titles altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't WWE where you can have 8 different titles in a single weight class in an organization and hope for them all to be considered legit. I'd imagine all of the Pride titles will be assimilated through unification matches. If the Pride title holders don't sign with UFC, I'd imagine their titles would just be stripped and disappear.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jackson won an unimpressive fight. That was far from a rampage...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if you're saying the fight was unimpressive or if Rampage was unimpressive, but either way, you're wrong. Sorry that wasn't a Griffn/Bonnar wild, slugfest, but that was a 5 round championship fight between two elite MMA fighters that all championship fights should stive to be.

This fight had everything: (kick)boxing, Greco-Roman clinch/dirty boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu. The action went back and forth, and to use a football cliche was closer than the 49-46 score appeared (though I agree with the 49-46 Jackson scoring). It had historical meaning, though the UFC decided to downplay it at fight time by not having Dan come out with his belt.

Plus, Rampage gave you one of the best post-fight interviews ever.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't WWE where you can have 8 different titles in a single weight class in an organization and hope for them all to be considered legit. I'd imagine all of the Pride titles will be assimilated through unification matches. If the Pride title holders don't sign with UFC, I'd imagine their titles would just be stripped and disappear.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind if they wanna unify everything into 1 (read: UFC) belt. But when those titles are being unified, at least have the Pride champ come out with his belt. IMO, it just disregards the illustrious history of Pride.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:47 PM

I agree with both of your posts.

If a fight isn't a 1st rd KO I'd like to see it go the distance. It gives you a chance to see which of the 2 fighters is the best(that night.)

How can you have a unification fight but only have 1 belt brought to the ring?
Old 09-09-2007, 01:01 PM

Totally agree with losing some respect for Bisping, I liked him on the show too, and he always was a classy dude, but he lucked out last night and was a prick about it.

No slam from Rampage! Kidding, can't really slam G-R stud, good fight, I think its just 37 vs 28, we are so used to older dude kicking ass, but 5 rounds tough to go all out, I'm 38 and I gas in the championship rounds, probably the bean dip... But yeah, that was a great interview.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't mind if they wanna unify everything into 1 (read: UFC) belt. But when those titles are being unified, at least have the Pride champ come out with his belt. IMO, it just disregards the illustrious history of Pride.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just business. If they want to call themselves the champ now, they'll have to go to UFC and grind it out.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:19 PM

Chilltown,

Yeah, that's fine. But bring the belt to the unification bout.

All,

There are reports that Cro Cop broke a rib during the first round. May explain his poor 2nd and 3rd round performance.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Plus, Rampage gave you one of the best post-fight interviews ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 09-09-2007, 05:26 PM

I wanted to see Dana give Rampage the Pride belt to see his eyes light up.