Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Man Arrested for Refusing to Show Drivers License

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A point re: the receipt checkers:

I think they're there to prevent employee-aided theft. You take a bunch of stuff to the register, only pay for a couple of things, but get the electronic things turned off on all your items. Used to pull this trick when I worked in a record store in high school. I think this area causes huge losses for stores. So THAT'S what the receipt-checkers are for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best point yet. I have to think about this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is probably the best reason, and it's hilarious. "I hire thieves, so I'll treat my customers as if they're thieves too!" It probably works, but god damn that's funny.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bunch of posters will now reply calling this guy a "douchebag" for not showing his receipt to the store employee, and will tell us that the guy "deserved what happened to him".

[/ QUOTE ]

That sheep is seriously cute.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I think they're there to prevent employee-aided theft. You take a bunch of stuff to the register, only pay for a couple of things, but get the electronic things turned off on all your items. Used to pull this trick when I worked in a record store in high school. I think this area causes huge losses for stores. So THAT'S what the receipt-checkers are for.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is probably the best reason, and it's hilarious. "I hire thieves, so I'll treat my customers as if they're thieves too!" It probably works, but god damn that's funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

More sad than funny. In the US, employees steal about $15 billion of inventory per year. Shoplifters about $10 billion.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
shouldn't stores have the right to make sure they aren't being stolen from? can't they make rules for all who choose to do business with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure... now let me strip search you to make sure you didn't hide any merchandise.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. Stores lose *much* more due to employee theft than they do to customer theft. This policy probably has more to do with protecting themselves against their own employees, rather than worrying about shoplifters.

Not sure if this changes anything, though.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 PM

The guy called the police because he felt he was being detained. The store 'perhaps' thought he was a shoplifter. He was not randomly approached by a police officer and asked for id. According to the statute buried in one of the blog entries, it sounds like you are required to identify yourself if you are the perp OR the witness (but it sounds like it would have to be a felony....I have no idea what level shoplifting or detainment would be).

Doesn't this make a difference?

In any case, there is no evidence that the guy was being physically detained, in fact he didn't know the manager was standing in front of the car, his father told him later. This could merely have meant they had to turn the wheel if they really wanted to get away, in front of the car is very vague.

As for the receipt issue - I am interpreting a lot of the responses here that individuals say they would not comply, or rather they would not comply if they had to wait in line. Being inconvenienced is not the same as feeling you are having your liberties 'trampled'.

The mean contribution of this guys actions to 'protect civil rights' is surely -ve overall.

The mean contribution of this guys actions to his little sisters birthday is disgusting.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely helps explain why stores do receipt-checks -- especially when it comes to stores where it is impossible to approach the front door with merchandise without having to walk through the cashier area first.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The question was, is it worth it to you to bear the additional shoplifting costs to protect these personal freedoms?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because if stores were no longer permitted/inclined to do receipt-checks at the front door, they would have to find other ways to protect themselves against shoplifters. Checking receipts at the door is *not* the only way to protect against shoplifters.

Besides, if stores were unable to protect themselves sufficiently against shoplifters and had to raise their prices, they'd lose business to stores who were more effective at protecting themselves against shoplifters and could offer lower prices as a result.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many of you want to bear the cost of increased shoplifting as a result of this guy's principles?

[/ QUOTE ]

This question cannot be answered until someone explains why discontinuing this procedure will result in a remotely meaningful increase in shoplifting.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I can't get either. I wonder if they have some other behavior they are targetting, like cashiers slipping things in people's bags without paying. If the check is "what matches your receipt is in your bag", I could still have stuff in my pockets and get by that. Makes me wonder if it is the cashiers and customers consipiring they are really checking on.

If that is the case it is even more annoying to have to go through the receipt check BS.

KJS
Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The mean contribution of this guys actions to his little sisters birthday is disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

She will never forget this birthday.