Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Default NL200 - Low end straight draw

This is somewhat non-standard play for me and I find it quite tough playing that kind of draws. So what do you think of this hand? No reads yet. I don't usually donkbet but the opponent doesn't know that yet (unless he has observed me, ofc). So basically I want to semibluff but I don't want to check/raise because it's so costly and my draw is not that good.

Would someone fold preflop? 98o is borderline for me here against unknown.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
SB: $208
Hero: $191.50

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $6</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($12, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $10</font>, SB calls.

Turn: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($32, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $60</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises all-in $175.5...
Old 11-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: NL200 - Low end straight draw

I would make a c/c on the flop here, because your draw is not strong enough to c/r plus this flop hits a lot of hands, which makes a c/r too risky. Donkbet is a good play here, because a thinking player won't raise you on that flop if he missed it. But this flop hits a lot of hands and he won't slowplay them on that board, he will raise and push you off a draw, so I prefer a c/c here. No way I am getting away from this hand once I make my hand.

I wouldn't even consider folding preflop.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:59 AM

If you had a hand like K9 how would you play it? How about 97?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 PM

you're right that pf is marginal. 98o is at the very bottom of what's playable IMO; I'm not convinced that it's profitable.

it's good that you're thinking in terms of checkraising flops. However, I think 2nd alternative should be check/call, not donk.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're right that pf is marginal. 98o is at the very bottom of what's playable IMO; I'm not convinced that it's profitable.

it's good that you're thinking in terms of checkraising flops. However, I think 2nd alternative should be check/call, not donk.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain why sir?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:32 PM

I think it's played fine as long as you donk with some frequency later on if he catches you doing this with draws here. Turn is obviously standard.

And 98o preflop is incredibly standard call for me.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to explain why sir?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you donk, unless you donk a ton, the first thing your opponent is likely to think is that you're drawing. And this is soooo obviously a drawing board.

Plus, even if he takes it as a possible made hand, the donk is unlikely to get a fold -- a suited JT5 flop hits or gives draws to many many hands. In my experience, people peel flops in position vs. donkbets with ace high, two overs, any hand bottom pair or better, and any straight draw including gutterballs. By that standard, if opponent is raising 60% of his hands, then he's got a "peel flop" hand about 75% of the time.

If you want to pressure him, the checkraise puts a lot more heat on and gets rid of most of the junk in his range.