Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Bulking Up

Joe, I think Rippetoe's program is pretty much ideal for building a solid basic level of strength and fitness that allows you later on to move to a program more specific to your personal fitness goals.

Hardgainers have problems putting on any weight at all, so @ 5'10" 180 lbs. you are not one. As far as the diet stuff goes and what you should/shouldn't eat, I'll just stay very generic and recommend that you stay away from fad diets and try to learn more about what foods are good, when they are good, and why.

jah mentioned body recomposition, which is a bit of a buzzword associated with Lyle MacDonald. It basically just means manipulating your lean mass/body fat percentages to be more favorable -- well duh, doesn't everyone want that. Anyway, check out his articles -- they're very good.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:17 PM

Skunk: I've always loosely defined it as-

Cut: Do whatever you can to lose fat mass. Even if it means sacrificing some muscle. Best done in a low calorie below maintenance phase.

Bulk: Do whatever you can to add muscle mass. Even if it means gaining some fat. Best done through a high caloric
intake.

Recomp: Attempt to lose fat mass while gaining or maintaining muscle mass. Usually best done through supplementation and carbohydrate/caloric cycling. For the most part your not seriously manipulating your calorie intake as much as you would on a "cut" or "bulk."

Great link to Lyle, he didn't introduce me to that word, a professor did, but Lyle has some great info.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:26 PM

OK, I am going to have a think about this and do some research over the next couple of days. I will post my new plan on here soon, and hopefully you guys will give me some feedback.

Appreciate the help.