Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:25 AM

Default Razz: Facing aggro on 5th/6th when ahead

I have played razz for te first time this weekend, and played it seriously on a $0,50-$1 2 tables alot yesterday (about $50 up). I haven't read anything about razz except the rules so I don't know any real strategy and do what I think is the right thing to do (it doesn't seem to be a hard game). I only play starting hands with all 3 8 or lower, unless I have a A-3 up and everyone behind me has high cards up and it is folded to me (then I complete, bet 4th unless a high card/pair comes).

This is something I had happening a few times, on 5th I have a hand like (not an actual hand, just examples):
4A69T

And my opponent:
XXAJ5

I bet, opponent raises. I am lke wtf? I have T high, he obviously has J high at this point so I am ahead, and I usually just reraise.

supose He then caps and I call, and 6th is:

4A69T6

XXAJ5Q

Neither help to both players, I am still clearly ahead with Ten high against Jack high, but I only have a draw to 9 high while villain could have a wheeldraw. Villain bets out, I raise becouse I am clearly ahead at this point, villain caps and I call, planning on checking/calling the river whatever card I get.

River comes, villain bets and I call. Villain turns over 7 for a rivered 7 high and takes the pot.

Hands like this happened quite a few times. Do I overate me being ahead at these points? or is the villain a clear idiot? Maybe better to just call his raises on 5th and 6th because he has so many outs or indeed charge him to outdraw me?
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM

Default Re: Razz: Facing aggro on 5th/6th when ahead

"having the best hand" and "being a favoured to win" are different things. These situations rarely come up in holdem but are frequent in razz.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 AM

In this hand a smooth draw to a 6 is a favorite on 5th over your T-low, so you should not have capped. However, once he bricks 6th street, you are now the favorite with your made T and you should be the one doing the capping.

You can view the razz equity calc at www.propokertools.com to see for yourself.

-ChipsAhoya
Old 06-12-2007, 02:36 AM

You need to get Sklansky on Poker which has a very good razz section. Sometimes a three-card Eight won't be worthwhile, and sometimes a three-card Nine (or worse) will be worth raising with. If you have a Seven up and everyone behind you is showing bananas, it's worth trying to steal.

On your sample hand, if the other guy has a wheel draw with his Jack, he's a solid favorite on fifth street. You're back in the lead on sixth and should put in as much money as possible.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:26 PM

Interesting side note related to the OP's observations.

I was playing live razz this weekend (gotta love the WSOP) when this situation came up time and time again while I was in a hand. The opponent would re-raise me because his board looks better "I have a T low and you caught a K, I'm ahead" is what they think in their minds. I would of course give him lots of extra action with re-raises and make my hand most of the time to their bewilderment, little did they know they were behind all along. I was perceived to be the big lag at the table, when in reality I was willing to get my money in the pot with hands that I was a statistical favorite to win and my opponents couldn't see beyond their own boards on the current street.

I so rarely play Razz live so its kind of refreshing to see the bewildered faces that I can only imagine exist when similar situations occur on the internet. I love hearing them whisper to each other about how I am a crazy player who caps when my board pairs and somehow gets there on 7th street, its very good for the meta game and my image at the table - they gave me much more action than they seemed to give the others because of this, all of which is of course in my (and your) best interest in the game.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM

My own side note: Once on 5th street the action was capped with my big draw vs an opponent with the "better board." On 6th I caught good while my opponent caught bad as was drawing dead. Since my 5th street action apparently convinced her that I was full of it, she proceeded to raise + reraise me until the action was capped again. No feeling quite like jamming a hand with 100% equity!!
Old 06-13-2007, 02:05 PM

God bless the WSOP [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

What limits and what times of day were you playing?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterdays list was for 10/20. I also played a low limit game after I busted out of the S8b tourny. You can start a list for any game, any time, any limit - the question is if you will get anyone to play.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yesterdays list was for 10/20. I also played a low limit game after I busted out of the S8b tourny. You can start a list for any game, any time, any limit - the question is if you will get anyone to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize the Rio spread cash games below 50/100 or so during the WSOP. I'm glad to see there is at least some razz action being spread either way. I just hope they don't have copies of SOR or even Super/system 1 available in the lobby [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize the Rio spread cash games below 50/100 or so during the WSOP. I'm glad to see there is at least some razz action being spread either way. I just hope they don't have copies of SOR or even Super/system 1 available in the lobby [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only razz game listed at all was 10/20.