Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 11:28 PM

Default SNG Early All-in

In the early stages of a Sit-N-Go, I see players push all-in on top of 3 or more limpers and picking up a really small pot.

What should I think about this? Is it just a dumb move?
Old 10-08-2007, 11:37 PM

Default Re: SNG Early All-in

Are you playing for play money?

I'm guessing they're trying to get a good start, but it's a dumb idea to me. I stay constant, playing stupid hands early is... well stupid
Old 10-09-2007, 12:14 AM

I don't see this very often, I'd guess this is a small buy-in. You don't see a lot of limp-call-call-shove deepstacked most of the time.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:29 AM

Yes I see this "move" is at small buy-in SnG. This 'move' is generally from a weak player that does not know how to let go of a marginal hand on a bad flop (Ex: JJ on a flop of A Q 10).
Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 AM

1) The guy raising all-in is stupid and decides that any number of Ace-rag hands and/or face-card hands are good enough to shove (i.e. very bad player)

2) The guy raising all-in has AA-QQ and knows that other guys who are very bad may call with anything from Ace-rag hands to face-card hands to medium pp.

This analysis ONLY applies at very low-stakes SnGs i.e. < $10 (more like <=$5).
Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 AM

Don't do it Mr.X. It's frustrating when you see a guy pull this of and you think to yourself, "maybe it would work for me to" (specially if you just had your small blind nickd with 78 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] limping in right before the guy who pushed) but it's pretty pitiful poker really. Guys who play this move are usually nervous about post-flop, as has been mentiond.

And guess what? By avoiding post flop play they don't get any better at it. If you think this is the case with you yourself, drop down to minimum stakes and play small-ball, to see a load of flops, or even try limit for a while.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 AM

pushing all in early seems to work all the time for me in low stakes sitngoes when i have aa-qq

you dont know how many times ive seen about 3 limpers from middle position and i look down at kk on the button, shove it all in and get called by 77

it seems like its impossible for inexperienced players to fold their pocket pairs

*DO NOT TRY THIS ON SITNGOES ABOVE 20+2
Old 10-09-2007, 11:03 AM

The problem with this move is in the outcomes. Outcome 1 is to win a tiny pot. Outcome 2 is to win a big pot. Outcome 3 is to lose a big pot.

Compared to outcomes 2 and 3, outcome 1 is almost irrelevent and will be what happens most of the time. So to make this play correct, you would need outcome 2 to happen more often than outcome 3. A lot of these players will do this with a hand like AJ or 77 hoping for a race and doubling through. The problem is that when they get called, it's either a race situation or he is dominated.

So for the 77, you will either get a caller with 88-AA in which case you're screwed or two high cards and there's your race.

I feel there are two types of guy doing this. The first is the guy with 77 who is looking for a race to double up. The second is the guy with AA looking to double up. The guy with 77 will either get a race or get screwed and the guy with AA or AK will be losing value by not making a normal raise and getting a caller with a dominated hand and then taking him to the cleaners.

It has been proven that the early chip leaders in tourneys and SnGs are often guys like this who got lucky and built a big stack. However, the patient players will eventually chip away at them and since they don't adjust later on, will lose their chips and their lead.

There's a reason that the chip leader on the first day of the WSOP ME has never won the event and the above is it.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a reason that the chip leader on the first day of the WSOP ME has never won the event and the above is it.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT