Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 05:16 PM

Default AJ os UTG

do you guys raise or fold that,,, need to know

got 61k average stack 33k 2 agressive plyrs at table
Old 09-15-2007, 05:37 PM

Default Re: AJ os UTG

You have not really provided enough information to answer this question.

Full table (10 or 6)?
How much are the blinds?
MTT I assume?

However, I would tend to fold this hand at a 10 person full table with aggros behind.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Full table (10 or 6)?
How much are the blinds?
MTT I assume?

However, I would tend to fold this hand at a 10 person full table with aggros behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Effective stacks relative to the blinds and antes is another significant factor, as well. So, I'd add that in a 100+ big blind effective stack NLHE cash game at a 10 person full table with aggros behind I'd fold too. The main reason is that AJo is a hand that has a lot of potential for reverse implied odds if you raise preflop from EP. First, you have lots of players to act behind you, some of whom can reraise to put a squeeze on you that you cannot take and will have to fold. Second, if you get callers preflop, then you will usually be out of position on the flop and either win the modest pre-flop pot with a continuation bet, or lose your continuation bet and possibly more if you get any action at all - regardless of whether you hit your hand or not. So, under the conditions of a medium stack (or deeper) full ring cash game it's usually best to just fold an easily dominated hand like AJo preflop. AQo is probably good for a fold for the same reasons under the same conditions.

On the other hand, with very short effective stacks like at a final table with an M of <5 in a tournament, pushing is probably best unless there is some compelling and unusual reason not to do so.
Old 09-15-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Full table (10 or 6)?
How much are the blinds?
MTT I assume?

[/ QUOTE ]

Effective stacks relative to the blinds and antes is another significant factor, as well. So, I'd add that in a 100+ big blind effective stack NLHE cash game at a 10 person full table with aggros behind I'd fold too. The main reason is that AJo is a hand that has a lot of potential for reverse implied odds if you raise preflop from EP. First, you have lots of players to act behind you, some of whom can reraise to put a squeeze on you that you cannot take and will have to fold. Second, if you get callers preflop, then you will usually be out of position on the flop and either win the modest pre-flop pot with a continuation bet, or lose your continuation bet and possibly more if you get any action at all - regardless of whether you hit your hand or not. So, under the conditions of a medium stack (or deeper) full ring cash game it's usually best to just fold an easily dominated hand like AJo preflop. AQo is probably good for a fold for the same reasons under the same conditions.

On the other hand, with very short effective stacks like at a final table with an M of <5 in a tournament, pushing is probably best unless there is some compelling and unusual reason not to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post. I agree but was too lazy to type that out.