Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Default 5/10 ATs raised on the flop

Villain is 28/12/1.2 so not too surprising he cold calls raise, doesn't have to mean a premium hand here

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with A[ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]], T[ [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]].
3 folds,Hero raises, MP3 calls, 4 folds.

very connected board, but I have top pair, top kicker so I lead out to charge a straight draw. When I get raised, I hesitate and don't reraise because J9s could be in this guys preflop calling range. But looking back, I feel this was too timid. Is this a 3 bet here.
Flop: (5.40 SB) (2 players)7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero bets, MP3 raises, Hero calls.

Rest of the hand I play WA/WB and just call down. However, being out of position, if I 3 bet the flop and was called, I wouldn't feel great about leading the turn and possibly getting raised.
[b]Turn4.70 BB) (2 players) Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

[b]River6.70 BB) (2 players) 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Hero checks, MP3 bets, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.70 BB
Old 04-17-2006, 08:34 AM

Default Re: 5/10 ATs raised on the flop

Looks good to me. I'd probably donk a better turn card unless I thought he wouldn't take a free card, or wouldn't raise the flop for a free card.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:38 AM

People love to float with tens. Punish them.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:42 AM

I 3-bet this flop pretty close to 100% of the time. And I still get called down by pocket fours or an oddly played AK pretty often.

As far as the turn card goes, it changes nothing unless he's holding QT specifically, or made a move on you on the flop with AQ (maaaaaybe QJ). Given that he doesn't look overly aggressive, I think that AQ or QJ become unlikely, and if he's holding QT then that's just some bad luck.

With 3 overcards that can come to your flopped pair (one of which did) and any 6 or J putting four to a straight on the board, you are most assuredly not in a way ahead/way behind scenario here. Keep the initiative, and start worrying about flopped straights/sets/two pair if you get raised on the expensive streets.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:32 PM

I threebet here every time. you have the best kicker, and he is likely raising because he either has a ten, and you are ahead, or has a nine, and is looking for a freecard. Either way, you want to retain control of the hand, and not allow either a freecard on the turn, or a free showdown at the end.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:42 PM

3 bet the flop. If he had JJ-AA he would have 3bet pf. Looks like AT or KTs to me. I think 1 more bet on the flop would have made it easier for you to define his hand range.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:39 PM

As a conceptual note, Don't consider yourself WAWB. There are a lot of cards that could fall that will hurt your hand; WAWB is when you or your opponent have few outs.

As for villian, the vast majority of the time he is betting a worse ten or a overcard+straight draw, or as a bluff putting you on missed overs. Either way, you have value on him, so three bet the flop.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I get raised, I hesitate and don't reraise because J9s could be in this guys preflop calling range.

[/ QUOTE ]

like, omg, omg. so is 77, and TT, and 88. omg, omg and QQ or even 55, omg. omg, just fold the flop, omg.