Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2007, 07:10 PM

Default DC call girl scandal

So looks like the head of USAID has resigned after being named as a client in the call girl scandal in DC right now because of the prosecution of a madam. Only notable because as head of global AIDS programs, he advocated abstinence-until-marriage and dismissed condoms as "not [being] very effective" at reducing the risk of HIV transmission.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to pay for a happy ending massage that's your own business, and I could care less, but just yet another example of the stinking hypocrisy in this administration from the bottom to the top. How many sex scandals, bribery scandals, self-hating gay men scandals, perjury scandals, etc will it take for the moralistic xian base to revolt against the repubs?
Old 04-29-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: DC call girl scandal

[ QUOTE ]
How many sex scandals, bribery scandals, self-hating gay men scandals, perjury scandals, etc will it take for the moralistic xian base to revolt against the repubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

they'll continue to tolerate it just like a lot of leftists tolerate the democratic party.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:24 PM

I don't know, I really think there is at least the possibility of a Republican party schism in the next decade with the moralists, family values, neo-cons, imperialist warmongers, etc going one way in a rough recognition that they need each other and the small government, libertarian, indiv. rights, privacy folks going the other way.

now the family values folks will probably still have more than their fair share of scandals but with the amount of young ideoligcal bloggerfolks on the internet pushing to save the republican party from the religous-right takeover, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some considerable housecleaning and handwringing after a Dem president is back in power with a Dem congress and the repubs are behind the scenes a little.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
now the family values folks will probably still have more than their fair share of scandals but with the amount of young ideoligcal bloggerfolks on the internet pushing to save the republican party from the religous-right takeover, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some considerable housecleaning and handwringing after a Dem president is back in power with a Dem congress and the repubs are behind the scenes a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

How many elections will Republicans win without the conservative Christians voters? Extremely few. There are not enough fiscally conservative voters to have an electoral majority. There is a reason the Republicans went 40 years without controlling the House of Reps until 95
Old 04-29-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know, I really think there is at least the possibility of a Republican party schism in the next decade with the moralists, family values, neo-cons, imperialist warmongers, etc going one way in a rough recognition that they need each other and the small government, libertarian, indiv. rights, privacy folks going the other way.

[/ QUOTE ]

The schism already occurred. Unfortunately, <1% of Republicans were really for the latter (small govt, individual rights, privacy), the rest just paid lip service to it except when it allowed gains financially or politically.
Old 04-29-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So looks like the head of USAID has resigned after being named as a client in the call girl scandal in DC right now because of the prosecution of a madam. Only notable because as head of global AIDS programs, he advocated abstinence-until-marriage and dismissed condoms as "not [being] very effective" at reducing the risk of HIV transmission.

Now, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to pay for a happy ending massage that's your own business, and I could care less, but just yet another example of the stinking hypocrisy in this administration from the bottom to the top. How many sex scandals, bribery scandals, self-hating gay men scandals, perjury scandals, etc will it take for the moralistic xian base to revolt against the repubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say it's a pretty good resemblance of their target audience.

This is evidenced by the fact that these types of things have been going on for as long as I can remember, and nothing changes.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Now, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to pay for a happy ending massage that's your own business, and I could care less, but just yet another example of the stinking hypocrisy in this administration from the bottom to the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hypocrisy is standard fare for many politicians, regardless of party affiliation. I agree the administration has had plenty of problems, and likely more than its share; yet I doubt the Democrats in general are any less guilty of sex scandals or hypocrisy than are the Republicans.

[ QUOTE ]
How many sex scandals, bribery scandals, self-hating gay men scandals, perjury scandals, etc will it take for the moralistic xian base to revolt against the repubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Many of the truly conservative already despise the Neo-Con perspectives and strategies as well as the current administration. As someone else may have pointed out elsewhere, too: most of the current crop of Republicans are far from being Traditionalist Conservatives.

In my opinion, NeoCon-ism just keeps looking worse as time passes.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, NeoCon-ism just keeps looking worse as time passes.

[/ QUOTE ]

When did it look good?
Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to pay for a happy ending massage that's your own business, and I could care less, but just yet another example of the stinking hypocrisy in this and every other administration from the bottom to the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP
Old 04-29-2007, 09:14 PM

Well perhaps - but when people get are in positions of poer primarily because they sold themselves as big on "christian values" and other such nonsense, it's a special kind of hypocrisy

Lying, cheating, and power brokering are part of politics as the game is played by anyone involved in it in the US these days, but this particular administration has been even more absurd than most in recent history.