Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Re: gaining weight

Point Blank,

Here we have guys who clearly juice... Muscle bellies are very full making it pretty evident where insertion points are and all have a ton of size. To say with bad insertions its impossible to gain weight is completely errant and incorrect. You have poor genetics and may never reach even an "advanced size" but what you're saying is the equivalent of saying someone can't squat 2x bodyweight, which barring injury/deformity anyone can do.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:09 PM

a good place to start
Old 04-12-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Point Blank,

Here we have guys who clearly juice... Muscle bellies are very full making it pretty evident where insertion points are and all have a ton of size. To say with bad insertions its impossible to gain weight is completely errant and incorrect. You have poor genetics and may never reach even an "advanced size" but what you're saying is the equivalent of saying someone can't squat 2x bodyweight, which barring injury/deformity anyone can do.

[/ QUOTE ]

and of course ... I didn't say that ...

I said not likely to put on a lot of muscle mass ...
Old 04-12-2007, 11:12 PM

Christ... the king of arbitrary values/ratios/disparaging everyone else. Maybe someone can repost his optimal upper body strength template.

To explain:
Possibly 7 years ago when I first saw it. Poliquin in an old Question of Power (Maybe Strength, Ian King had the other) wrote something like:
Bench = 1
Chin = .87
Incline Press = .75
Rotator Cuff Exercise = .13 (8RM)

It was so random and arbitrary it didn't seem much more useful than as a cursory: "Wow, this is really out of whack. Maybe I should fix this glaring weak point."
Old 04-13-2007, 07:56 AM

Point Blank,
I'm sorry, but that bicep advice is flat out wrong. There isn't a soul out there who with proper nutrition and training wouldn't be able to gain mass. Telling someone "you may, or may not be able to put on muscle mass" is the worst possible advice one could give. With body type differences it may or may not be HARDER to put on mass but VERY possible. Sorry if this sounds a little harsh but... some people just don't want it bad enough.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the 4000 calories was measured, although about half of it was in smoothie form. I kept at it for a month. I know some of you are going to be like that's impossible! eating that many calories you physiologically /have/ to put on weight. but I didn't. I was also [censored] like 10x a day so my body was probably pushing through a bunch of calories without absorbing them.

I have never stuck with a weightlifting regiment for very long because lifting exhausts me and makes me /hurt/ - even though I am not particularly weak for my bodyweight (ie; i can bench my weight and i can leg press over 500 with a full range of motion for 8 reps or so)

i can't stop the bike riding because it's my main source of transport.

i will check out the book, obv I am an extreme ectomorph.

my eating habits have been crap lately - usually only eating one full meal a day because I'm busy and lazy and I just don't particularly enjoy eating.

i'm going to commit to a better diet and lifting 3x a week for 2 months and I'll update you all. weighed myself this morning and was at 117 (and that was even after drinking 8 beers last night) [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't forget to SLEEP as much as possible. When you're not lifting, be as sedentary as possible. You have to get around, but ride that damn bike as little as possible.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:30 AM

How sure are you of no health issues? I'd actually consider seeing a doctor about this. You might have a tapeworm or intestinal problem.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:51 PM

Point Blank, the gap between your bicep and your elbow has little to do with whether you're a hardgainer or not -- all it means is that your bicep has better mechanical advantage and can lift more weight than someone whose bicep is attached a bit higher.

It's such a ludicrous argument I can't believe I have to even address it. Trust me, the point at which your bicep attaches to the bone has nothing to do with how over- or under-active your metabolism is and whether you can put mass on easily.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How sure are you of no health issues? I'd actually consider seeing a doctor about this. You might have a tapeworm or intestinal problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

qft. i'm not a doctor but 10 b/m a day just adds to the wtf factor
Old 04-13-2007, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OP

flex you bicep ...

if you half more than an inch of space between the spot your forearm meets your upper arm and the insertion point of your bicep ... you'll most likely never put on weight (you don't have the physical design)

even 0.5-1.0 of space isn't good

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, put your hand up to your face. If your hand is bigger than your face, you have cancer.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

this isn't a joke ...

the insertion point of you bicep is a very easy way to tell what your body type is (Ectomorph, Mesomorph, Endomorph) ...

depending on your body type - you may, or may not be able to put on muscle mass ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Telling someone they'll never put on weight is just wrong. ANY healthy person can put on healthy weight if they eat enough, sleep enough and work out enough but not too much. Is it more difficult for some than others? Of course. But saying someone can't put on muscle mass is just ignorant.

Also, not to be rude, but is English you first language? Do you have ADD? Your little incomplete thoughts with ... after them are ridiculously hard to read. Please stop posting until you've passed 2nd grade English.