Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2007, 02:38 AM

Default Speed and Intelligence

No not the class of substances, though that would be an interesting discussion as well.

To what extent does the speed of problem solving reflect innate intelligence, or is simply a matter of repetition and practice is what I am getting at.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Speed and Intelligence

[ QUOTE ]
No not the class of substances, though that would be an interesting discussion as well.

To what extent does the speed of problem solving reflect innate intelligence, or is simply a matter of repetition and practice is what I am getting at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think speed in solving a math based problem is almost as related to knowledge as it is to intelligence. With logic based problems obviously some prior knowledge is far more important than intelligence (of a similar question or way of thinking or w/e).
Old 04-28-2007, 09:01 AM

It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer.
--Albert Einstein.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think speed in solving a math based problem is almost as related to knowledge as it is to intelligence. With logic based problems obviously some prior knowledge is far more important than intelligence (of a similar question or way of thinking or w/e).

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of math, having a prior knowledge of the formalization is important, but if you take any day to day problem that has one correct answer but many ways to arrive at that answer, the person with a greater innate intelligence will tend to consistently figure out the most efficient way to solve the problem, and hence will tend to have a greater speed.

Take Nathan Bedford Forest. His lack of formal military training was actually a good thing. He was able to use his innate intelligence to solve, new problems in a completely different, but very efficient manner.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Take Nathan Bedford Forest. His lack of formal military training was actually a good thing. He was able to use his innate intelligence to solve, new problems in a completely different, but very efficient manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you using him as an example for the sake of humor?
Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you using him as an example for the sake of humor?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I had to google him to see what in the world you were talking about. I just finished watching Ken Burn’s History of the Civil War series and was very impressed by Forrest. I didn’t know he was the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, not that that makes him any less intelligent. I read the wiki article quickly, but I think it said that he used his influence to help widows and orphans and then, when he saw the direction the Klan was taking, he quit and ordered that it be disbanded.
Old 04-29-2007, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if the problem in question is part of a wider class that the problem solver is familiar with or the solution is similar to some technique which you've seen before.

If you have "create" a solution from scratch I am sure that speed and intelligence extremely closely related.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 PM

These are closly related.
There is an article by Mason I just re-read in Poker Essays 1 about good players and speed of thought. The faster you can think, the more variations you can work out and therefore better answer you can get at. It is like playing a chess game. The more variations that you can calculate in a given period of time, the (more likely) better move you can make.
In some cases (such as a check) there is only one available move in which more time/faster thinking does not help. But most poker questions are not as clear.

Repetition and practice can put you in similar positions over and over and give you a general idea of what worked in the past, BUT your ability to quickly recall Exactly similar situations will definitely give you an advantage.

Ie. AA in Early position on a loose table; limp or raise??
Old 04-30-2007, 07:42 PM

i think speed is directly related to intelligence if u give a person a random question that they are not accustom to or that is slightly different from normal thinking. If you give them a problem for something they use alot obviously they will solve it with more speed. So it can be related directly in certain spots, but in others it does not relate at all.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I think it is too broad of question. There are different types of intelligence. For some types, I think speed is closely related. for other types, I think there is almost no correlation at all. For the later, I think intelligence related to creativity falls into this category.