Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: politics and food - \"everything i want to do is illegal\"

Peverse. And the government is going to spend millions of dollars to procure research to say we should eliminate farm subsidies. Talk about double taxation. And no doubt the farm subsidies and bills originate from the myth of industrious American farmer that was previously thought of as America's backbone. In this age of huge farm lots, GPS-guided tractors, and rising demand for corn, we can't really allow to this to continue for much longer.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Yo matrix. I accept your point of view but I will say that you might be a little biased being a chef and all.

That being said, if I ever take the time to take the train to the UK (it's like an hour to London from here I think) and if you're not too far out in nowhere land I'd sure like to come by your restaurant because people who can defend food with so much heart probablt serve some good stuff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-22-2007, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or maybe because rich corporations who don't give a rat's arse come in and plunder what they can to make a quick buck. This is the free market at work with or without a government. People are greedy and don't think or care about the long term or external effects where money is to be made. This is a massive flaw in capitalism.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do we keep all of these greedy, profit-driven people out of the government?

Here's an article on the state and high-fructose corn syrup lewrockwell
Old 04-23-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you consider anyone who buys products you don't want "stupid".

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I consider the vast majority of the "couch potato generation," the people that are obese, who eat too much fast "food" - people that get caught up in the rat race working 9-5 jobs, who come home and flop on the couch and then tune in to 98 channels of brainwashing, advertiser sponsored drivel on the TV every day stupid. The sheeple who follow the fashions, who spend money they haven't got on stuff like the latest trendiest pair of shoes so that they can clog up the IKEA shoe cupboard they own, after being worn once with "that" outfit that they liked in the shop but can't wear cos it makes their bum look big. The morans who buy appauling music that they wouldn't actually ever listen to were it not for the commercial radio stations they feel compelled to listen to at work repeating the same moranic god awful music over and over and over (interspersed with [censored] adverts) - so that it grows on them (like fungus) and then they have to buy it. The people that have bought into the whole capitalism thing and who think that possessions and keeping up with the Jones next door will somehow make them happy. The people that lust after the power and wealth and celebrity of the faces that they see on TV, who want to be just like them but can't cos they are too stupid to work hard enough to chase their dreams - don't have the good luck(?) to be beautiful or to be born with a metabolism that gives them a perfect body or the single mindedness to work hard enough to get one. The people who chase all of this crap and are always stressed out about the overinflated credit card bill they get every month and how they are going to pay it - the ones who could get out of the rat trap if only they stopped and thought about things a little. The people who are so "busy" worrying about all of the above that they have no time to cook or think about what they are eating so more often than not they buy "fast food"

Those are the people I consider stupid and lazy, jmo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right - the people that buy the products you don't want are lazy and stupid. You're just a snob.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That there are enough stupid people in the world to sustain the profits of many large multinational corporations - despite those corporations selling "food" that isn't really food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone should eat only what you consider to be satisfactory for them to eat. Otherwise, they are stupid and lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. tbh what other people do is entirely down to them - I just think most people who eat fast food. Or I should say who eat fast food regularly are lazy and stupid. If people were aware of what is actually IN the fast food they are eating and what potential for harm it has then lots of them wouldn't eat that same "food" - of course there will always be the people who eat it anyway knowing full well the damage they are causing themselves - see the people who smoke knowing that they will likely die from cancer or heart disease or whatever as a result - but a lot of people just wouldn't eat the [censored] fast food companies call food if they knew more about it imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

People know how unhealthy fast food is. They don't care. That doesn't make them "stupid". It makes them people with different preferences. You're personal preferences are not the measure by which intelligence is measured. Get over yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe carrot and celery companies should spend more on advertising. Once everyone is aware of their objective superiority to fast food, McD's and Taco Bell will be going under. Oh no - I'd better sell my stock now!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. It's not a question of advertising alone - I suspect you already know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just said that people wouldn't buy the fast food if they knew how unhealthy it is. How are they going to find out if it's not advertised to them?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Co-incidentally the farming practices that encourage deforestation to provide grazing land for large herds of cattle do a lot of damage as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, choosing to leave the forest there and not generate food for people that need it would do a lot of damage too.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL LOL LOL. You are seriously arguing the point that hacking down the rainforest is GOOD for this world??

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you seriously arguing that it would be GOOD for the world to limit food production?

[ QUOTE ]
We obviously have to generate food for people - there are many many many better ways to do that that don't involve cutting down acres of quality forest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Better in whose opinion?

[ QUOTE ]
The deforestation is happening (I think) because it's the cheapest way. The market driven by the stupid brainwashed people I referenced above demands it's burgers at the lowest price it can get them at.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you regularly demand products at higher prices?

[ QUOTE ]
The competition in the marketplace forces companies to source their raw ingredients as cheaply as they can

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is good for consumers.

[ QUOTE ]
cos e.g. if McDonalds don't Burger King will instead then BK will be selling cheaper burgers and zomg McDonalds will LOSE SOME PROFITS!! - wouldn't that just be *terrible*

[/ QUOTE ]

What would your preference be? Everybody else pays more for their hamburgers so that you can feel good about the status of the rainforest?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In any sane world fast food should not exist - there ought not to be the huge demand for it imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes your opinion count and everyone that buys fast food's opinion not count? Oh yeah, they're just stupid and lazy, I forgot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did I maintain that my opinion counts more than the peoples that buy into the "fast food" ideal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Where you said that only stupid people buy fast food. What is your idea of "stupider" other than that their opinion is wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
Have I hit a nerve or something [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] People can do and think whatever the hell they like

[/ QUOTE ]

Then let them cut down the rainforest. It's not your rainforest.

[ QUOTE ]
- I don't really give a [censored]

[/ QUOTE ]

You clearly do.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's all about this year's profits, this year's crop, and competing with the guy who'll wreck his own land to undercut your prices and make a buck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently you've never heard of crop rotation??

The capitalists that I know of, including myself, are not quite as short sighted as you seem to be implying. When you have replicatable commodity, it is generally in your best interest to replicate it before you sell even if you would net less revenue off of each. I don't understand why this is up for debate.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently you've never heard of crop rotation??

The capitalists that I know of, including myself, are not quite as short sighted as you seem to be implying. When you have replicatable commodity, it is generally in your best interest to replicate it before you sell even if you would net less revenue off of each. I don't understand why this is up for debate.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you can slather fields with ptero-based fertilizers and petro-based pesticides you can ameliorate many of the effects of unsustainable farming practices.