Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 11:59 AM

Default Re: the king of kong

yeah i think i'm planning a trip to funspot soon
Old 09-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Can someone who has seen this movie comment on how long it takes them to set these records? It's obviously hours, but is it days too?

Man I don't see how this doesn't get mind-numbingly boring after awhile. I mean I'm sure it long ago stopped being fun for these obsessed freaks, but if they're playing for 1/2+ days and have to have people bring them food, drink, etc. then that's kinda LOL. And what if they have to take a leak or a dump?

Also, can someone elaborate on what the "kill screen" entails? And the springs that Duke mentioned in his post? Thanks - I don't think these answers are easily findable on those forums, and since Charlie wrecked the outcome for me upthread I've been reading all the spoilers but haven't seen this addressed.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone who has seen this movie comment on how long it takes them to set these records? It's obviously hours, but is it days too?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I remember that Steve's Record game took something like 2:17h

Man I don't see how this doesn't get mind-numbingly boring after awhile. I mean I'm sure it long ago stopped being fun for these obsessed freaks, but if they're playing for 1/2+ days and have to have people bring them food, drink, etc. then that's kinda LOL. And what if they have to take a leak or a dump?

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can someone elaborate on what the "kill screen" entails?

[/ QUOTE ]
I have my knowledge only from the movie, but I think the Donkey Kong game has a bug, at a certain level the time that you will have for that level is so short, you can't possibly get through it and you'll lose all your lives, thus this is the end of the game.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:59 PM

the game runs out of memory at a certain level and the game just ends... mario just dies for no reason
Old 09-09-2007, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the game runs out of memory at a certain level and the game just ends... mario just dies for no reason

[/ QUOTE ]

In DK, its actually that the amount of time you are given to complete the level decreases over time. On the kill screen, it is physically impossible to complete the level before the time runs out and you die.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:04 PM

that's not how they explained it in the movie, but i'll take your word for it
Old 09-09-2007, 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And the springs that Duke mentioned in his post?

[/ QUOTE ]
The springs are on the Elevator level. I believe its the 3rd elevator (maybe 4th) where they are just super fast. There is a pattern on the springs, but they go so fast I never could time them right. I would get lucky if I got past them...you have a 1 in 3 chance [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2007, 09:11 PM

According to wikipedia-
Donkey Kong also featured a kill screen in the 22nd stage, the 117th screen. This is an example of a kill screen that is not due to an integer overflow, but rather oversight on the part of the designers. The amount of time allowed for any given screen is determined algorithmically during play, decreasing slowly as the player progresses. By the time the player reaches the 117th screen, there is simply not enough time for the screen to be completed.

You might be confused with Pac-Man, where the boards screw up due to some kind of memory problem.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:24 PM

reason for donkey kong kill screen
Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The error comes in on Level 22 because a single byte cannot be greater then 255. The result then "flips" over to 4 (260-256). And there's your bug! Obviously the programmers never considered that people would make it that far.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't this basically a memory limitation?