Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:07 PM

Default What will the Democrats do with Iraq when they win next election

Assuming they win of course what will they do with Iraq?

Do they pull out,stay??

No win situation either way. I was watching 60 minutes on Sunday and it showed an Afgan Boy whose whole family was killed by a bomb. This kid was maybe 7. When he becomes a teenager he will have only one thing on his mind Kill Americans. Will the consensus be the same for many Iraq's if the US pulls out?

Yes I know the democrats will have to win first in 2008 but will the American people really allow another Republican to run the country this election
Old 10-30-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: What will the Democrats do with Iraq when they win next election

Part of me hopes that the dems will do the noble thing and get out of this farcical war and focus on the actual problems this country has.

In reality I think that they will keep us in that war through the first term of the next democrat's first term in office. Just so that whomever it is can be re-elected. They will blame the republicans for the mess over in the middle east and claim they are fixing it. Nothing will really happen outside of some more useless bloodshed and at some point they will pull out when the people of this country have been pushed to the brink.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:19 PM

I think it depends on which one wins. Here's my o/u on the length of time we will have more than 10k troops in Iraq for each of the candidates after they take office:

Paul: 6 months
Richardson: 1 year
Obama: 18 months
Edwards: 3 years
Clinton: 3 years
Romney: 6 years
Giuliani: 7 years
McCain: 15 years
Old 10-30-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it depends on which one wins. Here's my o/u on the length of time we will have more than 10k troops in Iraq for each of the candidates after they take office:

[/ QUOTE ]

Iron, I'll certainly take the O on Clinton for that wager. Hillary has shown me nothing to make me think she would act any differently than GW, related to Iraq. I think three years is a bit low, I'd say 5, possibly as high as 7. I think if she's elected, she'll stay in until the very end, then in 2015, she'll pull out, so in 2016 "Hey, the Dems pulled us out of Iraq!"
Old 10-30-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of me hopes that the dems will do the noble thing and get out of this farcical war and focus on the actual problems this country has.

In reality I think that they will keep us in that war through the first term of the next democrat's first term in office. Just so that whomever it is can be re-elected. They will blame the republicans for the mess over in the middle east and claim they are fixing it. Nothing will really happen outside of some more useless bloodshed and at some point they will pull out when the people of this country have been pushed to the brink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have serious doubts that if Hillary is elected that she'll pursue the same course as the Bush administration. That would be a totally unwise political move IMO. Once one maintains their predecessors policies, that person owns them. I couldn't imagine Hillary owning Bush's policies on just about anything let alone Iraq.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have serious doubts that if Hillary is elected that she'll pursue the same course as the Bush administration. That would be a totally unwise political move IMO. Once one maintains their predecessors policies, that person owns them. I couldn't imagine Hillary owning Bush's policies on just about anything let alone Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bush has no policy on Iraq outside of staying there. Hilary would do the same and adjust the reasoning for staying. A democratic congress would never challenge her on this issue and I don't think a republican congress would either. Once she is in she will have free reign to do as she pleases with regards to the Iraq war.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:58 PM

Whenever you are in the opposition it is easy to point to all the problems that arise with the current policies, and almost all critique of the current handling of the situation in Iraq is fair game. But when you find yourself as commander in chief you have to deal with the situation whether you like it or not, and I wouldnt be surprised if Hillary would find herself following the same course as Bush to some extent in Iraq.

Both the Democrats and the Republicans want the Iraq-war to end as soon as possible, but they also need the ending to be successfull. Hard to believe that Hillary would come up with a plan that suddenly would make this possible when the situation is as complez as it currently is. I dont think pulling out all the forces and leave Iraq to itself is an option with all the sacrifices and money spent there.

The US need Iraq to be relativly stable and secure before the forces are pulled from there, if not the aftermath can be even more disasterous than it already is. Any goodwill from other Middle-Eastern countries would also be jeopardized if the US gives the impression that they are happy leaving the country without fixing the problems it has created.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What will the Democrats do with Iraq when they win next election

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing. They've all said as much.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the over on all of them. They will all leave at least 30k troops to defend that $600 million embassay they built and all the contractors that have congress in their hip pockets.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM

[Yes I know the democrats will have to win first in 2008 but will the American people really allow another Republican to run the country this election

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think we will ever have another president who gets involved in something that he believes will cost 50 billion and end up having it cost 20x that? Will we ever have such a moron in office again?