Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 PM

Default I hate these situations

Villian unkown

Nothing i can do?

Hero UTG: ATo

Poker Room skin
Pot Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $2.50/$5
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $10</font>, CO calls, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $15</font>, 2 folds, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($52.5, 3 players)
UTG checks, CO checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $5</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $10</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($72.5, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $10</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $20</font>, UTG calls.

River: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($112.5, 2 players)
UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Button bets $10</font>, UTG calls.

Results:
Final pot: $132.5
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 PM

Default Re: I hate these situations

An overpair, and TT are obviously likely, although K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or even another KT combo might show up on the river. A big A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]with J-K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] could also be looking for a free SD.

Some underpairs (77-99) to your T might also be there.

I think against an unknown you should call down and take a note when you see his hand. It's a dry board though, and I also hate these spots.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:56 AM

yeah me too. my default is to call down but you're basically never good here. probably calling the turn raise and folding on the river is better. also I'm not convinced you have to raise the flop.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:33 AM

I don't like folding here. We don't know anything about villain. So a non-zero amount he's that guy that 3-bets KT-JT pf or raises the turn with a PP/AK/AQ. We also split some with rational players and suck out too. Plus the board is paired. Paired board = crazy [censored] happens.

Flop raise, love it. Force CO's overs out. Maybe he 3-bets a smaller T putting BT in a tough spot with his possible overs. People do a lot of bluffing on this type of flop. We best take advantage of that perception by c/r'ing. We should get light call downs and be "re-bluffed" enough to justify showing down ourselves vs. another raise.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also I'm not convinced you have to raise the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont understand, why wouldnt you want to check raise this flop ?

I think against an unknown opponent I'd have played it exactly the same as the OP but your right we're gonna be against an overpair alot. Quite often in this situation I think I should fold to the turn raise but I never can on such a dry board, does anyone ever fold here or on the river ?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is WA/WB. Its only against KQ that hero is up against more than 3 outs.

Even tho Heisenberg and other good posters think that WA/WB is dead it doesnt mean that hero wont get owned when he is behind. Villain is gonna float the flop c/r and raise the turn with overpairs almost always and pwn hero.

@ OP
You cant fold vs an unknown. But this is a fold I am starting to make against predictable TAGs. Maybe not on this exact board since they might make a free SD raise with a lower pp. So an alternative line would be to call and c/f river.

But as said, vs an unknown u cant ever fold.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is WA/WB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see this at all. A critical part of WA/WB theory is that villain will release a hand that is WB if we raise instead of bluffing off. I don't see villain releasing any part of his range before the river most of it not even then.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is WA/WB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see this at all. A critical part of WA/WB theory is that villain will release a hand that is WB if we raise instead of bluffing off. I don't see villain releasing any part of his range before the river most of it not even then.

[/ QUOTE ]

True and a good point. That said Hero is still WA or WB against button [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways I think I missed that the flop was 3-way. With a player behind us I completely agree that this is a flop raise.