Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2006, 02:12 PM

Default Another blind battle...A6s in the SB

Folded to a tough TAG button (28/21/1.9) whose attempt to steal is about 40%. He raises, and you have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

(1) How often do you 3-bet this hand PF? Do you ever CC (assume 1/2 blind structure)?

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that you do 3-bet. The BB folds and the button calls.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. You bet and he calls.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You bet and he raises.

(2a) Do you agree with the turn bet?
(2b) Do you call the turn raise?

Let's assume for the sake of the discussion that you do call the turn raise.

The river is the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

(3) Your river line is ...
(a) bet/fold
(b) check/call
(c) check/fold
Old 08-24-2006, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Another blind battle...A6s in the SB

I 3 bet this about 80% vs an aggressive stealer. I would coldcall on occasion if the BB is at the extremes playing way too loose or way too tight. We also need to know if TAG is capping light and how easily he gives up although we will just assume he plays well.

The turn is by far the most difficult to play and I really have more questions than answers. How often will villian give us a free SD if we c/c? How often will he raise for free SD if we donk? I hate this spot but I know one thing for sure is that I don't want more than one bet going in on that turn. I think c/c and see what the river brings is the play.

That is one of the worst river cards for your hand. Now you basically beat nothing except a bluff. Even some hands like 77 that he may think are bluffs to push you off a T or J are still beating you. Time to c/f and that can't be very close.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folded to a tough TAG button (28/21/1.9) whose attempt to steal is about 40%. He raises, and you have A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the SB.

(1) How often do you 3-bet this hand PF? Do you ever CC (assume 1/2 blind structure)?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3bet this almost always against a 40% steal button. I'll call if BB is super-loose-bad since I want him in the pot with me.

[ QUOTE ]

Let's assume for the sake of discussion that you do 3-bet. The BB folds and the button calls.

Flop is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. You bet and he calls.

Turn is J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. You bet and he raises.

(2a) Do you agree with the turn bet?
(2b) Do you call the turn raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

2a: I agree with the turn bet. His flop peel is often stuff like small PPs, gutshots, a stubborn A-hi, etc, sometimes weird gross stuff that should have folded the flop like Td9d or QJ but calls anyway to float or whatever.

2b: I definitely call the turn raise. This spot is one of those "oh noes! 2 broadways! so scurry!" spots that tags like to test tight players on...if he actually hit a J, why would he raise it? And if he had KJ, why wouldn't he have raised the flop?

Sure sometimes he'll have been sandbagging KJ and just picked up 2pr, but i think his hand range is very polarized between hands weak hands like QT / free-showdowns with AQ or other Ahi /semibluffs and big hands like sets / tptk / rare 2pr. I'm happy calling down most river cards.

[ QUOTE ]

Let's assume for the sake of the discussion that you do call the turn raise.

The river is the T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

(3) Your river line is ...
(a) bet/fold
(b) check/call
(c) check/fold

[/ QUOTE ]

blugh, the T is a bad card. I probably c/f, then c/c, then b/f, but it's been argued that i do not go to showdown enough.

Surf
Old 08-24-2006, 06:04 PM

It is probably close preflop.

If he will autobet (a good TAG won't) then either way is fine on the turn. If he won't then I bet.

You must call the turn raise.

The river is up to you and the card that falls. I check/fold the T because it pairs the adopted straight draws on the turn and I would expect him to check behind with the Ace high/ baby pair free showdown type stuff.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:38 AM

I like the 3 bet preflop but the river is a check fold
Old 08-25-2006, 06:40 AM

How much value are we giving up by letting this go preflop against a decent player?
For me the answer to this question is less than zero because I suck in these spots.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much value are we giving up by letting this go preflop against a decent player?
For me the answer to this question is less than zero because I suck in these spots.

[/ QUOTE ]

With you 100%.

Situations like this are so common and our edge in concern to hand values is so small, I feel like I'm going to make more mistakes than a good player will, if for nothing else other than positional disadvantage. At what point do you feel confident enough to 3-bet this consistently (75%+)?

I think the only way I'm going to be comfortable in these spots is if I start making very, very specific reads in hands that are played in this situation that went to showdown when I wasn't involved. I just suck way too much to do this while playing, it costs too much. The problem is one of the reasons these opponents are good players is because they adapt to the 3bettor/btn-raiser and take different lines when necessary. So the hands I'm looking at won't necessarily be reflective ofmy future interactions with them. Still, you've gotta start somewhere I suppose

Am I approaching this the right way? Any feedback is appreciated