Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy

Old 10-19-2007, 07:43 PM

Default $16 AA early levels control

Holla. I usually don't play aces like this... Checking back flop to keep the pot small vs 2 players (readless). Sippin was at my table and was probably wondering wtf hand I had lol. BTW I'd play AK here the same way.

PokerStars Tournament, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1480)
MP1 (t1600)
MP2 (t1340)
CO (t120)
Button (t1620)
SB (t1480)
BB (t4360)

Preflop: Hero is in UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
<font color="red">Hero raises to t80</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">MP2 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, SB calls t70, BB calls t60

Flop: (t240) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

Turn: (t240) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">SB bets t20</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to t100</font>, Hero calls t100, SB calls t80

River: (t540) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (3 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120, <font color="red">SB raises to t500</font>, <font color="gray">BB folds</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 10-19-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: $16 AA early levels control

Seems fine to me. Some may say fold the turn, and they're probably right, but I'm not gona fault ya for calling just because someone raised a donk bet. If it's a mistake it's not a huge one. You're gona have to play some poker on the river though with this line. Odds are your opponnent either makes a small value bet or a small blocking bet on the river because you are either on AQ or JJ,10's, so calling the turn can't put you in that much trouble, since the guy will make this turn play with any medium pair.

Congrats to the SB for making his flush.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM

I dont like the flop check, I would raise. It just makes it a lot easier to fold if you have to.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:02 PM

180 flop.. if call check fold turn
in river call 1/2 pot max
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM

PF I make it T100, maybe even a little more utg, but whatever. Potting the flop would have probably made the hand easier to play on later streets.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:33 PM

wow thats interesting, keep the pot small with AA and QQ5 rainbow flop?

180 flop
Old 10-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Seems fine to me, if you hate money. Please bet the flop. Please raise the turn if you misclick-check the flop.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:36 PM

I had a sixth sense that they had a Q... I think I picked up a timing tell. I kinda played a little too aggro last night and I think I compensated instinctively in the first bit of todays session. I think flop bet is better tho thinking about it now. Is it a problem to try and play small pots early bc this isn't really the ideal flop for AA obv. Plus little fear of free cards if I am ahead, played it WA/WB...
Old 10-19-2007, 08:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had a sixth sense that they had a Q... I think I picked up a timing tell. I kinda played a little too aggro last night and I think I compensated instinctively in the first bit of todays session. I think flop bet is better tho thinking about it now. Is it a problem to try and play small pots early bc this isn't really the ideal flop for AA obv. Plus little fear of free cards if I am ahead, played it WA/WB...

[/ QUOTE ]

Picking up on a timing tell is one thing, just assuming that your opponents have outflopped you is another [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

We bet the flop not because we want to define our hand and be able to get away from it, but to get value out of it. Obviously we're not going broke every time here on the flop or turn, but we're way of villain's line here most of time on those streets, and just as we don't want to give him credit for a queen, he doesn't want to give us credit for one either (he'll pay us off with 2 pair).
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 PM

I dont like this flop check at all. You can check for pot control on the turn if you get called since you are in position, but not betting this flop is burning money or letting people draw for free alot of the time.

Question - Are there any hands you are cbetting here? If the answer is yes, then I think its a big mistake to not cbet AA