Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 04-29-2007, 04:27 AM

Default Re: The Worst Strategy You\'ve Overheard at a Table

Only raise preflop with any pocket pairs (meaning he limps w/ AKs). Never 3-bet preflop.

A guy told me this outright and stayed completely true to it.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, my personal favorite is someone saying something like this "I was afraid of a possible flush draw making it so I didn't bet the turn."

[/ QUOTE ]

That's basically the one I was going to say, execpt that was a strategy of mine :P It never actually came into play, I was just theoririzing(yup), thinking I'd struck gold, and a friend of mine told me how incredibly stupid it was - I immediately realized how big of an idiot I was, and proceeded to quit poker. Ok, I didn't quit, but I'm sure a few of you will recommend it. Anyways, just a temporary lapse in common sense :P
Old 04-29-2007, 05:04 AM

My personal fav was when a guy was telling an obviously new player something like "Some dealers let good cards win, some let bad cards win. You need to find out which dealers are which." [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 05:15 AM

Idiot at a 4-8 table said you shouldn't raise a bunch of limpers with AA in the BB because you never know what might flop. He's an overall winner in that game too.

Some idiot frat douche in a tourney said you shouldn't get all in PF with AA. You should always take a flop first and make your move if it's not scary. He bused out "slow-playing" KK on a J98 two heart flop (it was "safe").

Then my personal favorite, 4-8 game, I raise 99 after a limper in LP, CO reraises, I call. Flop 9xx, I bet, CO raises, limper folds, I reraise, she 4 bets, I raise (no cap in HU pot), she reraises... until she's all in (had about 40 behind after the PF betting). She flips over AKo drawing dead after the flop, lol. Explanation: You have to be aggressive with AK because people will bluff you out with anything.
Old 04-29-2007, 08:30 AM

Tournament, blinds 50/200/400. I have 11k and a super loose table image. EP player raises to 1600, folds to me with AA in BB. I flat call, planning to check raise all in on any flop that isn't KQJs. Flop comes T82, 2 hearts. I check, villain bets 1600, I check raise all in (overbetting the pot) and villain beats me to the pot with his JJ. Rivers a Jack to beat me.

Nimrod proceeds to state "that's what he gets for slow playing AA." [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2007, 08:53 AM

Some of these are absolute gold.

Here is mine. Guy raises preflop with 44. Flop is 437 with two hearts. He throws out a huge continuation bet'(so far so good) and a complete donk calls him. Anyway the turn is a non heart King. He checks the turn in position. The flush draw misses and the skilled players were incredulous as to how he couldn't bet the turn.

He says "I'm playing to protect my stack". Despite the fact that over half his money was already in the pot and would be committed to any river card.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:05 AM

Default WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

Just be grateful these people keep showing up with cash.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 AM

Default Re: WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

Here is a few I like to hear:

"Play a 6 10 because you can make both ends of a straight."

"I want that seat when he leaves! That seat is getting all the best cards." Like a hot seat can expect to stay hot.

"I know you have it, but I have to call." When a station calls down an ace high flop with an A4o losing to a preflop raiser with AQ who has been betting all the way.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Re: WHY DO YOU LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE?

My favorite happened to my buddy after getting AA cracked in a typical 4/8 game. After his down, the dealer sees my buddy up from the table taking a break. He asked my friend if he would mind taking some advise, buddy says "sure." Dealer proceeds (long version, of course) to tell him that in that game he should fold AA preflop. They rarely win, he says. lol
Old 04-29-2007, 10:37 AM

"It's only $4." Or whatever the BB is.

[ QUOTE ]

Magoo: I always hope for the miracle cards

[/ QUOTE ]

Luck is an element of my game. Often it's the only element.