Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2006, 08:56 AM

Default A few simple questions (5cd, 2-7, razz)

one 5cd, one 2-7 and one razz (which i'll put here to save starting a new thread in the stud forum)

1) 5cd - MP opens, CO calls, i 3-bet with 888T4, 2 calls. Both MP and CO draw 1. Do i draw 1 or 2 here? Whats the significance of drawing 1 or 2? Does it disguise my hand better?

2) 2-7 - HU on the button with 2345T vs aggro opponant. Final draw, he draws one. Do i pat or draw 1 as well? If he checks, do i bet for value? What hands are favorite vs a single card draw?

3) Razz - a simple one! Whats the difference between a rough and a smooth 9?

I realise these are probably really easy, but many thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Re: A few simple questions (5cd, 2-7, razz)

[ QUOTE ]

1) 5cd - MP opens, CO calls, i 3-bet with 888T4, 2 calls. Both MP and CO draw 1. Do i draw 1 or 2 here? Whats the significance of drawing 1 or 2? Does it disguise my hand better?

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to worry about disguising your hand here, since both of your opponents are very likely on draws. And since the number of players who'd limp with any two pair is small, you're not going to collect from anyone by betting out post-swap

So taking 1 or 2 here is a moot point, since you'll only be called (or raised) post-swap by better hands. If you know with near certainty that one of your two opponents will limp with 2 pair, you'd draw 1 and bet post-swap, but you won't have that happen that often.

Taking 1 to trips is good when someone's open-raised and you've made it three bets. You want the two pairs to call you down, and they'll often oblige.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2) 2-7 - HU on the button with 2345T vs aggro opponant. Final draw, he draws one. Do i pat or draw 1 as well? If he checks, do i bet for value? What hands are favorite vs a single card draw?

[/ QUOTE ]
Pat. I wouldn't bet for value unless I had a read villain was a station. Vs. a lot of solid villains I'd fold if he bets into me. Any J is a favourite over a 1 card draw.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:47 PM

In razz and lowball, "rough" and "smooth" distinguish between the best and worst hands of a rank.

For example, in a game like razz or A-5 lowball, a "smooth" nine would be 8432A, the best possible eight. 87654 would be the "roughest", or worst, possible eight.

In 2-7 games, like KC lowball or triple draw, straights and flushes count against you. So a "smooth" eight in 2-7 would be 85432 (not all suited), not 8432A. The latter hand would actually be A8432-an ace-high hand that would lose to a hand like K9753.
The "roughest" eight in 2-7 would be 87653, not 87654 (that would be a straight and would lose to virtually anything).

Many people use "smooth" to indicate any hand that is near the best hand of that rank and "rough" to indicate any hand that is near the worst hand of that rank.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to worry about disguising your hand here, since both of your opponents are very likely on draws. And since the number of players who'd limp with any two pair is small, you're not going to collect from anyone by betting out post-swap

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's three-betting, doesn't that imply that MP open-raised, rather than open-limped?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to draw one here. You'll often get payed off (or even bet into) by higher two pairs, if you draw one. You're halving your chances of making a boat by only drawing one, but your chances of making a boat are pretty small anyway. Since your opponents raised and called a raise, I think that their likely holdings are two pair, so definitely better off taking one.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
A jack is a favorite over any one card draw on the end. I would stand pat, and probably check behind on the last betting round.

I think other people answered the razz question.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tend to draw one here....You're halving your chances of making a boat by only drawing one,

[/ QUOTE ]

<nit> It's your chance of making *four of a kind* that's halved if you only draw 1; your chance of making a boat actually improves (although your overall chance of improvement does drop, from 10.36% to 8.51%). </nit>