Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 PM

Default turn bet vs check

ian j cr vid 10/20 stars he opens QhJh on button. big blind calls, he has played the past two pots with this player, one involving ian calling a turn raise with his oesd and folding river ui and the other featuring ian winning on the turn with 66 on 944A.

Flop 789 two spades one heart
villain c/c

Turn 4 club
villain c/r ian folds

I didn't really care for the bet at the time and I liked it even less with the history of the villain waiting to pop the turn on a somewhat similarly drawy board (the KT9 where we had 87). Basically I think we are putting ourselves in a lot of possible bad spots and no really good ones. We may fold up to a 10 outter if we opt to fold to c/r, if we bet turn and are called are we going to turn our hand into a bluff hoping to fold A/K high hands with a 5/6/T/J/spades in them?
Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 AM

Default Re: turn bet vs check

I think that a turn check is better, although sometimes in the heat of the moment I have just fired. As played, I think the pot is just big enough to draw to the river.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:38 AM

I bet this turn too much and probably shouldn't. I'm definitely not folding to the checkraise though against most players.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:42 AM

My general policy is to check through gut shots on the turn unless I think it's an easy call of a raise.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My general policy is to check through gut shots on the turn unless I think it's an easy call of a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is almost certainly a leak. I check on this particular board though.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:56 AM

Yeah thinking about it now it wasn't a good bet. I mentioned in my video that it's a lot different playing that game because people take this line so often in those games and it's virtually unused in 1/2. So basically in 1/2 if someone check called this flop I'm not really worrying about getting c/r on the turn so I fire one more time on the off chance that I have the best hand.

I suppose I've kinda lost touch with what a lot of people play like at this limit but when looking back I remember this exact scenario playing out constantly in Party 15/30 games. Back then I would have probably made the good check because I'd see the c/r coming.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Guys,
If you don't bet the turn what is your play when you miss the river if it's checked to you?
Bet 100% of the time?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,
If you don't bet the turn what is your play when you miss the river if it's checked to you?
Bet 100% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is the main problem with a turn check. It turns your hand face up as having air or ace high and you lose any fold equity you had. I think this is basically a give up in a smallish pot and I don't bet the river agaist an opponent with 1/8 of a brain. Against the most retarded of players I think we still have a profitable bluff as they will fold some K hi or A hi hands.