Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2006, 08:52 AM

Default 5CD: i play 20k hands, now what? move up, or multi-table?

December 6th, I try draw poker. It was fun and stuff, so i play all month. I made some monies. Not enough though.

So, heres the thing...for the first time in about 2 years, i actually had fun playing poker (this my job, see), and i'd like it very much if i can make draw my breadwinner. $10/hr wont cut it. Therefore, its time to take the training wheels off.

I was single-tabling 1/2. Should i move up stakes (less noobs/far less tables to choose from), or should i try multi-tabling and stay at 1/2?

My primary concern is making a more respectable hourly wage...but i can think long term. Meaning, i realise that i will improve more single tabling 2/4 than 2-tabling 1/2. However, i'm not prepared to play break-even poekr as i cut my teeth, you know? So what has been your expieriences with moving up/adding tables?

At 1/2, i pull 4.88 BB/100 over 20k hands. My competition sucked, but I think i played well too. I'm not so sure theres much more money to be earned here...i could study my ass off, and maybe get another BB/100. I dunno, i probably ran good, so lets say future improvement in my game means i can sustain 5bb/100

1) If i move to 2/4 will there be a massive decrease in donators? My winrate gets halved? Quartered? Evaporated?

2) If i add tables, but stay at 1/2, how bad will my performance drop off? (i used to quad/8 table sngs back in the day) Draw, especially 5handed, seems like the type of game where if i havent been paying attention throughout the hand, i can miss alot. And also, it would be significantly harder to notarize opponents

Advise me, peoples! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Oh , or should i just stay at 1/2, and realise that $10/hr is about all i can expect from online draw? Meaning, i say thx for the memories, and move back to hold'em........
Old 12-28-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: 5CD: i play 20k hands, now what? move up, or multi-table?

I've tried multitabling at 2/4 and at PL100, and I've found my performance drops off drastically. For me, there's just too much to keep track of and it happens too fast. I see others three- and four-tabling at those levels and above, but I find the usual suspects to be no better than breakeven players. So I think you'd be better off moving up in stakes than multi-tabling at your current level.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:57 PM

I have given the thought to MTTing 5cd but the hands do go so fast that for me it would be hard to do more than signle talbe the game. I am still at the .50-1 level and doing pretty well(don't have a sample). Maybe another thing to think about is what the future may hold for 5cd. I really can't see it getting much bigger than it's already small appeal, but I think that there will always be some players coming and going who don't have a clue as how to play so there will be a small $ potential there I think.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see others three- and four-tabling at those levels and above, but I find the usual suspects to be no better than breakeven players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this has been my observation as well. Those players seem to play fundamentally sound, but they dont seem to be doing much more than paying rake. Likely due to missing chances to bluff/pick off bluffs, being the last guy at the table to figure out that the new dude is a maniac, and just generally being unaware to opponents tendancies. Not to mention being slow as all get out.

I have also noticed that the 4-tabling guys are usually gone the next day...or back to less tables.

*I would of course only be 2 tabling.
Old 12-28-2006, 03:58 PM

Frond,

i) my 1-2 is equivalent to your .50-1, as its the lowest level spread.

ii) future of online draw? i agree with what you said. fairly steady inflow of donators, who rarely stick around long enough to learn the game. This is part of my concern with moving up stakes....i'm afraid that the 2nd lowest rung on the ladder will have FAR less dead money. PLus, game selection...theres like 5 1-2 tables for every 2-4 table going.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:38 PM

Thinking long term: there's no upside to playing draw professionally unless you have access to the big PL games on Euro sites, and even then it's very small. You might be able to double or triple your current earn, but having done so you've gone as far as you can go.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:51 PM

The amount of fish in 5cd drops off dramatically as you move up. One can still turn a profit, but it becomes harder.

5CD lacks the necessary variance to fool bad players into thinking they are winning players. Murakawa talked about this awhile ago saying that if there was a bad/loose player in the game, he had winning sessions a huge percentage. My experiences have been similar. 5cd will always have a nice BB/100 at low limits, but I don't think there is lots of upward mobility possible.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 PM

these last two replies make me sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] oh well, c'est la vie
i'll take january as a tester anyways...ill try both higher limits and two-tabling (an post results). i'm not looking to get rich, just make enough to justify the hours not spent grinding hold'em. if nothing else, at least i have low-limit draw to fall back on next time im burnt out. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2006, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The amount of fish in 5cd drops off dramatically as you move up. One can still turn a profit, but it becomes harder.

5CD lacks the necessary variance to fool bad players into thinking they are winning players. Murakawa talked about this awhile ago saying that if there was a bad/loose player in the game, he had winning sessions a huge percentage. My experiences have been similar.

[/ QUOTE ]

As have mine. Although you shouldn't fool yourself into thinking there's no variance whatsoever. I've learned this the past couple of days, as I've dropped a boatload of cash in the past several hours of 2/4 play to a run of donkeys catching their flushes and straights. I've run up against three donks in the past two days calling raises HU and drawing two to a flush only to hit.

I do believe, as you do, that variance is small in 5CD compared to most other games. But I've learned in the past couple of days that it is NOT non-existent. And there are still a few really big fish out there playing this game.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:31 AM

What we need for 5CD to explode in popularity is a televised final table on ESPN of a yet-to-be-instituted $2,500 PL draw event at the WSOP.

Until then ....