Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2006, 07:52 PM

Default Limit 5CD-Standing Pat

Okay, so I have played some of the .50-1 L5CD on Stars. Pretty fun. Starting to get a bit of a handle on the game. Something I have been noticing here and there is some players standing pat on hands like 2 pr or a set etc. I assume they are doing this to sort of be deceptive and steal the pot on the last betting round, or giving the impression that they already started with a big hand etc? I also see some players only drawing 2 cards to their big pairs as well. Is this for deception also? I haven't done this play of standing pat except on a made hand like a str8 or a flush. I usually still get paid off when I stand pat so I haven't found a good opportunity to do so and try and add some deception to my hands. Anyone throw in this move here and there? Isn't it better at this low level to simpy play str8 forward?
Old 12-12-2006, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Limit 5CD-Standing Pat

When you play these limits (in any game), there is never a need to bluff to have a positive win rate.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:13 PM

well, thats not the question. The question is does bluffing or adding deception ADD to your winrate.

For the most part, it makes no sense to use these particular deceptive moves. If you are going to stay pat on a non-pat hand, make it more of a bluff than this (do it only when there is very little chance that you have the best hand or can improve to the best hand). Taking two to a pair rarely makes sense, there are threads on this that you can find in Other Topics.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:35 AM

The only time I stand pat-bluff is when I've accidentally raised pre-swap with trash and AM NOT RERAISED. Since I never stand pat-bluff with pat hands, my more alert opponents will fold.

In the rare instances I'm caught, I laugh it off in the chat box to let everyone know what transpired.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 AM

Ill sometimes do it if I raise first in the CO with JJ and get called in two or three spots by tight opponents (or in some other situation where Im clearly beat and theres a decent amount of money in the pot).

"In the rare instances I'm caught, I laugh it off in the chat box to let everyone know what transpired. " I dont know why youd do this. I think you want your opponents to remember that you did this so youll get more action on your real pat hands.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I also see some players only drawing 2 cards to their big pairs as well. Is this for deception also?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some players will keep a non-ace kicker when drawing to a big pair. If a player draws two and the final hand is something like AAJ85, it probably means they kept the jack.

Also, there are some players who will draw two to a flush or a straight-flush, and back into a big pair instead. If the final hand is something like KK and three semi-connected spades, that may be what happened.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Also, when you are dealt a str8, boat or a flush, if you are already have alot of limpers and you are in LP is it better to go ahead and raise it pre-draw or keep them in by just calling, hoping that several have improved their hands and try to get more bets out of them?
Old 12-13-2006, 03:15 PM

In LP, you always raise a pat hand predraw. It's not like limping is going to disguise your hand, and if raising causes everybody else to fold, you weren't going to make any money postdraw anyway.

The only time limping a pat hand predraw might make sense is if you're in EP ahead of an aggressive player who likes to raise against open-limpers.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:50 PM

Thanks Matt that makes common sense to me. I am finding that on the surface this game seems like it is really simple but there are some tricky spots like how to play 2 pairs etc. I am going to keep reading up and practicing. ANy other sites besides stars have 5cd?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ill sometimes do it if I raise first in the CO with JJ and get called in two or three spots by tight opponents (or in some other situation where Im clearly beat and theres a decent amount of money in the pot).

"In the rare instances I'm caught, I laugh it off in the chat box to let everyone know what transpired. " I dont know why youd do this. I think you want your opponents to remember that you did this so youll get more action on your real pat hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Laughing it off in chat works both ways, because it could encourage other players to give less respect to my pre-swap raises (an event they're aware of before I stand pat), and perhaps reraise me when I'm holding KKKxx and they've got queens up.