Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-27-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Donk of death the river?

Pretty good 20/40 game at the Borg. The player in this hand is loose and straightfoward. I was playing with a pro on my right who used the phrase "donk of death" to describe loose passives hitting big draws and being afraid of it getting checked through.

I have red aces in the SB.

3 limps to me, I raise, LP BB calls, limpers call.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I lead, he raises, two call, I trey, everyone calls.

Turn: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I bet, he raises, they fold, and I call (I figure he probably has two pair here, maybe a set? He might slowplay a set and pull the trigger later.)

River A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Donk of death?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Donk of death the river?

This seems like a good spot to go for a c/r, unless the BB is really super passive and will not bet his likely 2-pair.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This seems like a good spot to go for a c/r, unless the BB is really super passive and will not bet his likely 2-pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not raising if you bet the river here.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe, but this is a better spot to bet out, since the ace maybe a scare card if he had a big q, and if he has a set or aces up, u can get a 3 bet out of him by betting out
Old 11-28-2007, 02:07 PM

passive players are not raising this river without a straight which in this case he clearly does not have. I would bet here since as already mentioned it is likely the passive player will check behind here.

If the board paired I would only check raise a more aggressive non thinking type player. Thinking players will check behind here and may not pay you off even if they did bet.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM

bet out, hope to get raised, obv.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:01 PM

Is he a good player? Your raise out of SB is likely 10-10+ or AQ+. You are not betting the turn w/JJ or AK (unless its specifically AsKs, and even then...). So, if he is a thinking player, he should figure that the only hand that bets the turn and checks the river that his 2 pair beats is KK. The probability of you having exactly KK is way below 50%. He checks behind unless he hit a set. Bet and get a crying call.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:04 PM

Grease is also raising QJs and KQs there.

Moreover, a loose-passive has been going crazy vs Grease on every street. There's no way he has just one pair. The only concern is if he was fsd just a Q which is possible considering there were other people still in the pot.

I have nothing against a donk of death, just don't expect to be raised.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:24 PM

I doubt QJs or KQs bets this turn having no flush draw, after being raised with 2 cold calls on the flop. I never said BB is raising, I just think he checks behind >50%.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM

Definitely bet. Loose passives love to check the river with 2pair if any sort of scare card comes. There is no scarier card than the Ace in this spot. Your hand looks exactly like what it is. I think his range is probably weighted more heavily towards a set, but losing a river bet here would be very bad.

Edit to add-Actually Im not sure if his range is weighted more towards a set. Even a passive player should be raising any Q on the flop.